HIP-15: Validator Governance Participation Indicator

Any thoughts on starting the “participation tally” from when the rule goes into effect - as opposed to all-time (prior to abstain transparency)?

The purpose of this is to be a clear indicator of who is active in the community and participating in voting. So adding abstain as a vote option would be preferred.

Also how would new validators be taken into account? Yes unelected can vote but a new validator just spun up after a vote is taken. Will this know not to include them in the tally?

And agreed it should start with the fully understanding that voting now means participation and not that voting won’t mean abstaining but non-participation and inactivity in governance votes.

These are good points, it certainly makes sense to have the abstain option available on votes.

For new validators my proposal states it would be votes from validator creation so I think that is fair.

As @Validity pointed out it I think would also be fairer to only include votes since feature implementation… but I guess that is up for debate as the opportunity to vote has always been there!

1 Like

Unfortunately this proposal did not pass due to … wait for it … lack of validator participation.

This proposal seems to have good support generally so I’ll await further feedback to why so many abstained from the vote.

I’m not sure at present if it’s possible to resubmit with amendments, perhaps it might have passed with a mandatory abstain option?

There was some contention regarding the vote not being done with stake weight and this may have discouraged some people.

The VDAO have decided that we will use mainnet for votes like this from now on and it has been decided to give this another vote in the correct place and format.

If it does not pass again, then that is that but for this 1 HIP, this 1 time, we can make an exception so it can be voted on correctly.

2 Likes

and it was close… there was 0.5% less than required participation wise.

2 Likes

This is an excellent idea and StakeIt.ONE backs it 100% :blue_heart::facepunch:

2 Likes