Discussion: reducing BLS keys

Thanks @mindstyle I am just finished reading this HIP threads now.

First of all, I don’t think we need to limit the max total delegation (as some suggested above) as a dynamic max total key is sufficient because :

1. the max delegation will be limited by the upper bound and the max key limit
  2. it will over complicate the protocol logic with possible more bugs being introduced eventually
  3. dynamic is a must because of the network total delegation changes over time and will account for the median stake, total network delegation, etc …

I idea of dynamically limiting the maximum number of keys could be a good solution amongst other to help out with our future decentralized network.

and I will answer in this post only things related to that HIP

there are pros and cons on any new ideas and we need to list them down so we can discuss those here.

Pros:

• avoid putting the network at risk ie single validator with too many keys in a given shard and on the entire network like Kucoin issue right now with s0
  • allow the last few slot to be taken by small validator (ie and here to provide more chances to those with 10k or way below the lower bound)

Cons:

• nothing can prevent a validator to spin up a new validator
  • it only address a problem concerning the big validator.

It is hurting only the big validator, Yes, but this is for a greater good. And having this coupled with an incentives (which I will try to detail in a different HIP) should help to have the big validator to always try to reduce their keys usage. The idea was detailed here : Open Staking: Improvement Proposals - #4 by sophoah

I will also highlight some ideas discussed above that should help with our decentralization problem.

please don’t do any personal attack or target to anyone in the community when discussing those pros and cons. Thanks.

1 Like