HIP-4: Network governance quorum

sounds reasonable if we can have 66% quorum

I like this, 67% of the 51% total. I think that will work.

The 51% seems doable with a 2/3rds participating needed to pass. We can still push for more participation, but this would alleviate the current issue.

I am also for this suggestion to do 51% vote proposal and require 66% quorum to pass a vote. Itā€™s a good way to get things going for now, however the issue of big validators (the centralized exchanges) not participating in the voting/governance process is a hurdle we better address as soon as possible for the sake of the bigger picture.

I read a comment about punitive measures for not participating in the voting process and i am all for taking the governance process that seriously in principle, but itā€™s unfair to do it when we havenā€™t yet made the necessary collective effort to reach out to and educate validators on the importance of participation. Itā€™s a cultural shift that needs to happen more than anything else. I am on standby to discuss and plan actions in this direction.

Thanks for the effort

This is great, especially after being in the first voting session for the ā€œmin delegation postā€ that didnā€™t get through.

I would say that 51% Iā€™d the validators need to vote and 67% need to say YES.

I also liked another idea by @SmartStake. That validator suggested proxy votes and thatā€™ll be of huge value. Not just add to voting power, but also show that validators on the Harmony network care. :muscle::clap::rocket:

Iā€™ve been trying to follow this discussion, but it looks like half of the posts are using quorum wrong, so Iā€™ll leave this here: QUORUM Definition & Usage Examples | Dictionary.com

The proposal even states:

Specification : The proposal is to make a proposal valid if it receives 51% of total voting power, and for the vote to pass, a 67% quorum. As an example, this way, both of the proposals that ended, would have passed.

One of the past proposal that ended didnā€™t reach a 67% quorum, so still wouldnā€™t pass with the current proposalā€¦
https://governance.harmony.one/#/staking-mainnet/proposal/QmdmnVwW6ob5UfB9hNYxKsRXAyM52jQpNXsV5Vw4fNbiqa

This EPoS proposal got 60% participation, which does meet the 67% quorum, although it still got 100% of the cast votes in favor.

So do you actually mean a proposal can only pass if both those criteria are met:

• A 51% quorum (participation of 51% of the validator stakes)
  • A 67% super-majority of the cast votes in favor
    ?

hello, yes the last part,

1. it got 51% or more participation
  2. it got 100% of the casted votes

Just for record, this is ā€œHIP-4ā€