HIP-8: increase external slots to 900

Awesome. Let’s GO toward 900.

2 Likes

With the vote opening up today I want to once again voice my concern for this slots expansion. Thank you @leo for the assurance that the blockchain would function independent of validators on the shard. I believe my overall message was lost in my words.

My primary concern is that with the slowing of shard 0 and the drastic under saturation of the shard 0 will worsen as we move to 900 slots. Currently shard 0 has to be reasonably undersaturated to be able to generate equal rewards to the other shards. This is leading to an oversaturation of the shards 1-3 and decreased staking rewards across the board. There is no incentive for a validator to be on shard 0 and I worry the introduction of the additional 100 slots will only serve to exacerbate the issue.

In an perfect world we would see the new 100 slots be distributed in the same proportions as we have current, effectively having little to no impact. I have concerns that this will not be the actuality of the situation. Is my concern unwarranted?

I will wait until the hard fork to assess the situation but I was not aware of any changes in the hardfork that will remedy the current situation.

4 Likes

I support this change. #defi

1 Like

Change is always welcomed :hugs: in an ever evolving world :world_map:

Kakashi Approves :+1:t4:

I like this. Let’s get it done

I don’t know how big a problem this is, as I have no insight of the validator distribution. But if you are correct, this is quite concerning. Maybe the team can adress this in more detail. @leo mentioned that reshaping would fix this situation, but as I understand, this won’t happen in the near future.

Maybe the validator DAO (or everybody) could have a look at this and promote validators that are running on shard0 to bring more awareness and therefore stake to them. That would encourage new validators to run on shard0 to get elected.

Yes love this! Long live DECENTRALIZATION! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Validity supports this!

Voting Yes for this proposal

UPDATE: moving forward… No more support from me on adding seats/slots until we address and stop validators from being able to have more then a certain number of keys. We could even go further with on-chain Identity zSnarks verification so that someone would not be able to pretend to be a different validator (anyone can have Two Cloud Infrastructure accounts, two wallets, two this, two that, I make it seem like separate ppl. This is not good enough). For instance, a company would not be the same identity as the owner/CEO of the company (even though, in SOME cases, the owner my perform the anonymous Identity verification it would be a different ID from say Ontology Blockchain, then the person doing it on behalf of the company). Will this solve once and for all the decentralization problem, of course not. No one thing can solve any other one thing…

3 Likes

Hello,

The vote for this passed 30 days ago, do we have an ETA on when this will be implemented?

Thanks!

1 Like

we may have to wait for another upgrade of the mainnet to reduce the block time on shard0. If we increase the number of external slots now, it may have an additional load/impact on the block time on shard0.

1 Like

AzureONE says yes, please.