HIP-7: Language Change from Fee to Commission

Summary : This proposal is to change the language moniker of Fee to Commission.

Background : Currently, the language on the Staking portal, Smartstake, official documentation and Harmony community lexicon is to use the moniker “Fee” to represent the commission rate a validator sets in order to cover costs and benefit from operation of the validator. This moniker has a negative connotation and is often used to represent a penalty.

Motivation : With this proposal, it will change the the moniker from “Fee” to “Commission” in order to better present validators as providing a service to the community and not as charging a fee for allowing the use of validator services. This should assist with removing some of the negative connotations currently associated.

Specification : Change the labeling on all Harmony associated sites and applications from “Fee” to “Commission”. Change all official documentation to reflect the moniker change.

Suggested voting options : yes or no

17 Likes

This is a minor change but may have some bigger impact to the perception of the validator network. Support it.

5 Likes

Thank you for the support Leo.

3 Likes

i think its a good change also, will bring in a lot of places where we need to change it, but i think it will be worth it

5 Likes

Totally support this. A language change could mean change in perception towards the better! Becomes easier to explain as well.

4 Likes

I support it, good idea

3 Likes

I never thought it that way but yeah you right, so yes. for me

3 Likes

‘commission’ is more likely a staking slang than ‘fee’ - agree on that, let move it to vote - YES

2 Likes

Hello guys, I think we all agree it’s an interesting change, can we start a vote? Thank you

1 Like

This change in language is crucial to validator/delegator relations.

2 Likes

Maybe “Service Commissions”? I feel like the word “service” will remind delegators that we Validators are providing a service they can use and the Service Commission charge is their way of paying tribute to our performance as Validators. It comes off more like a tip then a “Fee”. Thanks Jimbo for bringing this up.

2 Likes

100% agree with this change.

1 Like

100% agree! This will further strengthen validator relations with delegators and clear up a lot of confusion.

2 Likes

Loved it, the motivation :+1:

1 Like