Battleship3: An on-chain PVP Battleship game

Battleship3

Battleship3 is an on-chain PVP Battleship game leveraging zero-knowledge proofs to preserve player board privacy and game integrity. In the game, players wager tokens as part of a prize pool that is distributed to the winner, acting as an incentive to play as well as complete games.

Application Type

zkDAO

Proposal Overview

Within the scope of this proposal, the MVP is to implement a dApp where (1) players can play Battleship vs other players with the appropriate game rules through a web UI, and (2) wager equal amounts of tokens with their opponent.

Use Cases

• Be a fun game to play with built-in monetary incentives for further engagement.
  • Demonstrate the use of zero-knowledge technologies for on-chain gaming.

Competitive Landscape

While other on-chain zero-knowledge implementations of Battleship exist, none of them completely implement the game rules or do so in a secure manner that is fit for real players with actual monetary value on the line. This is where Battleship3 will differentiate itself.

Proposal Ask

Battleship3 will be established to be community-driven and self-funded by its DAO. To get this up and running, we will be requesting a one-time $10k grant for the completed testnet launch that will go to further development costs for proper mainnet deployment in the near-term and an additive $3k/year basic income for each achievement of subsequent milestones to take care of long term development, welfare, and operations costs.

This ask will be in line with the laid down milestones as detailed below:

1. launching a feature-complete product on our testnet
  2. forming a DAO with 5-out-of-9 multisig
  3. launching on mainnet with audit
  4. attracting 1k daily active users (with launch video, full PR promotion)
  5. attracting 10k daily active users (with a detailed roadmap, governance process)

Road Map

A version of Battleship3 is currently on Harmony Mainnet. The current priority is to work on completing the wagering feature for the game as well as completing the board validation circuit prior to beta testing.

Objective Date Status
Testnet Launch April 27, 2022 Done
Beta Testing and Fixes June 1, 2022 Pending
Mainnet Launch July 1, 2022 Pending
Smart Contract Audit August 1, 2022 Pending

External links

1. Battleship3 Mainnet Deployment
  2. Battleship3 GitHub Repository
  3. Battleship3 Demo Video

Yes from me as a zkDAO governor. But I would love for the UI/UX to improve a bit!

is there a discord server to keep informed of progress?

1 Like

Progress will be posted here for now. It’s up to the project owner to launch a Discord server or not.

the question was to the OP :slight_smile:

There are definitely places where the UI/UX can be improved such as slow rounds, wallet connection and mobile support and they are definitely planned!

Thanks @KamiKimms for your interest but there is no Discord server to follow at the moment.

1 Like

Good work! I personally like the UI, it’s clean and minimal. But error reporting can be improved.
Approved and the first milestone confirmed as governor of zkdao

1 Like

Love the projects coming out of zkDAO. Nice work.

1 Like

This is a yes from me as a zkDAO governor. 1st milestone is confirmed.

1 Like

Pretty cool. Can you guys, both zkrollup DAO and this game come to one of the Developer DAO Twitter spaces to talk about your experiences in zkrollups?

Hi George, of course, we can do this. You can reach out to me (shada#8213) on discord to discuss further

This is a yes from me and confirmation that milestone 1 has passed

I’m currently hosting the subgraph for this dapp on my own VPC but it has rather limited storage which can cause issues with dapp usage. I’m have been trying to keep the subgraph working by periodically clearing storage and I hope this isn’t too much of an issue for grant review. Another thing for me to work on after grant approval is to migrate the dapp to a hosted subgraph instance.

I also voted yes as a zkDao governor and confirm Milestone 1.

Are the team voting on this?