Community Involvement in DAOs Needed

To put it succinctly - the DAOs need YOU. Without YOU there is no US!

The perceived problem that exists is the lack of participation from the community in the DAOs and therefore the mandates the DAOs are trying to enact. There are several reasons for this lack of participation we would like to address. Keep in mind the concept of DAOs and how they fit into the blockchain space is very new and truly groundbreaking. We are all trying to define the DAO role in Harmony; our journey has just begun. It’s OUR journey as we are all in this together so let’s discuss how we can unite and move out as ONE.

One reason for lack of perceived participation is the belief that an individual’s interaction with a DAO doesn’t matter and won’t affect any change. Nothing could be further from the truth! In fact, without community involvement, the DAOs are dead in the water. DAO governors are not responsible for steering their DAO’s path; it is you the community who decides the road the DAOs travel on. The governors are there to facilitate the proposals and funding needed to meet each initiative the community sets. The DAO’s main 30 thousand foot view is to place the power into the hands of many instead of a few. This is a game-changing approach; one that has led many of us into crypto in the first place. But in order to realize the success of this new decentralized structure we can’t merely talk about it; we must be active in this endeavor!

Another perceived reason for lack of community partcipation is the lack of understanding how important the DAOs are to decentralization and the future of Harmony. The end goal of the Harmony blockchain is to be running full steam ahead completely ran by the community; utlizing DAOs to maintain the network, govern itself through on-chain governance voting, and perpetuate growth and adoption. This is why you are seeing DAOs pop up left and right. Harmony has an ever-growing number of DAOs to include the Validator, Community, Dev, Incubator, Creative and more. All of these are vital to Harmony being able to operate in the future in a truly decentralized state. But again, without community involvement, the DAOs will be ineffective. YOU are the key to the success of Harmony and therefore the ultimate catalyst concerning the worth of your investment.

“But what can I do to help?”

• Participate in DAO calls that are made available whether they be on Twitter Space, Zoom, etc. Use your voice and and vocalize your thoughts, ideas and opinions. Never stay silent out of fear of sounding ignorant! Each member of the community has the right to discuss these things; without them there can be no direction for the DAO to head. Follow through after these meetings with a post on this talk forum; let’s have a feasibility discussion and if the majority of the community agrees on a path to go down then it’s brought to official governance vote. There are so many creative and intelligent members of this community; we can move mountains if we unite as ONE and move out on projects. The sky is the limit for what we can achieve together…or is it?

• Utilize this talk forum to solicit ideas, feedback, criticism, dreams. This forum exists to provide the focal point for community discussion and governance proposals. Be active in here, the DAOs will jump at the chance to discuss ideas with community members; as well as provide assistance in bringing those to fruition. Share links to the talk forum with other community members and on the various social media platforms. Help drive the community here and become fully engaged.

We understand there isn’t a lot of education that exists concerning what a DAO does and how a community member can benefit from being actively involved. Stay tuned for another talk forum post describing what DAOs do and how they fit into the vision of Harmony long-term; a DAO view from the ground floor if you will.

Please simply share this post and ask others to follow suit. Let’s get these conversations going and brains working. Do not let this DAO tool go to waste. Let’s grab onto it and use it to advance OUR network.

“Don’t just talk about it, BE about it.”

16 Likes

I would be interested in being involved in a DAO but I really don’t know much about them at all. I really look forward to learning more about them here.

2 Likes

Yes. People need to participate more. The lack of understanding of what a DAO actually is the main reason. People see the word being thrown around but they ask themselves maybe what a DAO actually is. This is something important to explain in detail.

We would love to be more involved. I think once we have our next NFTs live, you will see quite a bit more from us.

1 Like

In what way would you like to be involved?

Having ran Holacracy in a traditional organization, I see the point of the DAO model. It is somewhat similar to Holacracy but with less rules and more anonymity. When I ran Holacracy, I also felt a lack of participation by people in my team in governance.

I feel that lack of participation in DAO is perfectly normal. Not everyone wants or knows how to participate.

The voting on proposals mechanism is the easiest way to get participation and I would suggest starting more votes on proposals. Also the establishments of more WIIFM mechanisms would drive up participation. Reward active participants in some way.

2 Likes

I see your point.

Rewarding active participant is what harmony one is all about, no?
You succeed in the ecosystem so does the ecosystem. This forum is a good place to start, if improving ecosystem is what you want.

I will try to share a few things that have been running through my head lately.

I have passed from trader, to hodler, to delegator, advocate on twitter, active member on the Spanish Telegram Group, validator and now I even write in here sometimes. I think that this makes me an involved member of the community but that is what I can give. I have a 9 to 5 job and a family to attend and I already feel that I am more involved than 95% of the community out there.

But here is the thing, I am not sure if that is enough and if it adds any value at all. I can give my opinions, but that is what they are, opinions. I am no dev, I am no economist, I am no content creator, I am no artist, so all I have are opinions as valid as anyone could have. I am a member of the community and that is what i bring.

After giving my opinion I get a few likes and some replies but at end I am not sure if that goes to anywhere apart of getting some sort of personal satisfaction of participating. Some propose things (they bring a new idea to the table) and I tend to reply (I encourage, criticize or destruct those ideas) but that is what I do. Sometimes the discussions go for days, egg/chicken and chicken/egg and at the end I don’t know if we go anywhere or if there is something happening at all with all those discussions.

So here is the thing. Is this enough? Or are you looking for more devs, financial experts, content creators, artists and marketeers? I know that these are questions that concern me personally but maybe someone can relate. The question is, am I adding any value or just noise?

PS. Don’t get me wrong, I am a grown up person and I am not seeking recognition or for someone cheering me up. The thing is, that I don’t fully understand this new decentralised model and don’t know exactly how a model community member from a DAO perspective would look like.

Let me say that I Love this post. We the Community need to get involved. :fire:

I would love to see someone run an Ambassador program. If anyone wants to work on that with me, please contact me and we can put together a proposal.

2 Likes

@Manumix

Your opinion is the most valuable thing as a community and DAO member, this is just my own opinion and the way I see things I guess.

We would hope as community members that the decisions of a DAO (Its community at large) would make the right decisions, and even being a part of that, as an average community member and sharing your opinion for better or for worse, I hope would sway the general community towards the best decisions. So yes, honestly, I really do believe even as someone who isn’t a dev, financial expert, content creator, artist or marketeer’’, your opinion is extremely important.

As a DAO governor, you always hope that people will have the right intentions that wish to participate and it’s usually the case given the way they’re taking time out of their lives to share that opinion and be a part of the conversation.

I have even been there when you have, as you put it ‘‘encouraged, criticize or destruct those ideas’’ and whether we share the same opinion isn’t always the most important thing as 2 community members, it’s the fact that people are part of the debate that are trying to make a change for the greater good.

I would advise you to always speak up, maybe someone might be missing an important point and you can sometimes change the opinion of others for the better.

Regarding if it does any good, does action come from it? Honestly, this is something I have asked myself, a lot… being part of the DAO has been extremely challenging and I’ve had to ask myself lots of questions. To address this, sometimes people come up with ideas, and sometimes, some great ideas and people are happy to discuss for a moment, but essentially, people don’t always have the conviction to rally people around them, find the people that can implement the change, then approach the DAO for funding or for additional help for that initiative. As you mentioned, people have families, 9-5’s, and a lack of time to commit to things so it’s a tricky one and I completely understand. As the DAOs are not run by smart contracts unfortunately a lot of the work is left to the governors to do when essentially they should be assisting in putting governance out to okay funding for projects the DAO members come up with and the wider community votes and approves, but unfortunately, we’re not at the level of participation yet, hopefully, this will come with more adoption.

If you have an opinion, idea or thought, share it and run with it, inspire others to understand the benefit, and if they want the change also it’s a possibility.

Apologies for the late response Manumix, as you seen on the other post i tagged you in we had some issues.

Kind regards
Brictkop_One

2 Likes