Dark Forest: A Port of DarkForest to Harmony Ecosystem

Proposal Overview

Dark Forest is a space-conquest game built on Ethereum where players discover and conquer planets in an infinite, procedurally-generated, cryptographically-specified universe. It uses zero-knowledge proofs to validate game moves on Ethereum without sharing information with other players about the moves.

Use Case

The game is currently on Ethereum and xDai and there is a need to port the game to Harmony which is an EVM compatible chain with very low gas cost that will benefit the players of the game. The Harmony ecosystem is also very well suited for the game not only because of the low gas cost but also the existence of hundreds of other games with thousands of gamers operating within the ecosystem.

Based on this, we’ve studied the existing source code of the game and have created an initial port to the Harmony Testnet environment as shown in this link (Feel free to reach out to us to whitelist your wallet address if you would like to test the game). We have also reached out to some of the core DF developers to support us in porting the game fully on Harmony and setting up competitions for the gaming ecosystem

Competitive Landscape

Currently, Harmony being a layer 1 EVM chain with very low gas fees is home to several games such as DeFi Kingdom, MarsColony, Freyala, and so on however we still don’t have any Dark forest flavoured game on the chain. Based on this, there is a rare opportunity to bring Dark Forest to the ecosystem and leveraging on the unique membership of zkDAO, we can properly run and maintain the game.

Proposal Ask

The DarkForest application fork on Harmony will be established to be community-driven and self-funded by the DAO (to be created) in a bid to bring a ZK powered space conquest game to the Harmony Blockchain. To get this up and running, we will be requesting the $15k/year stable basic income to take care of initial development, welfare and operations costs.

This ask will be in line with the laid down milestones as detailed below

1. launching a feature-complete product on our testnet
  2. forming a DAO with 5-out-of-9 multisig with our DAOs
  3. launching on our mainnet with audit
  4. attracting 1k daily active users (with launch video, full PR promotion)
  5. attracting 10k daily active users (with a detailed roadmap, governance process)

Our public road map

Objective Date Status
Testnet launch April 27th Done
Beta Testing and Fixes June 19th Pending
Smart Contract Audit June 26th Pending
Mainnet Launch Jul 3rd Pending

External links

DarkForest Testnet Application
Dark Forest Contract

Screenshots

Team

1. Kousik Rajesh is a final year bachelor’s degree student in Computer Science at the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati India. He is a cryptography and zero-knowledge enthusiast keen on pursuing a Master’s degree in the same. He is currently a TA at ZKU.

2. Tosin Shada is a software engineer at a leading bank in Africa and currently a TA at ZKU with expertise and interest in Web3, Zero Knowledge and Blockchain technologies. He is also very interested in launching ZK focused products.

4 Likes

Great job guys. Dark Forest is already one of the most popular blockchain games. It will definitely enhance popularity of Harmony. Yes from me as a governor of zkDAO.

i also vote yes (as a governor)

Great project! I vote yes as a zkuDao governor.

1 Like

I vote an enthusiastic yes as a zku governor!!!

1 Like

Dark Forest on Harmony finally! Yes from me as a zkDAO governor.

1 Like

From what I can see, seems like they have met the 1st milestone as well.

1 Like

i think so too (vote as a governor on 1st milestone)

I vote yes too on the 1st milestone as a zkDao governor

voting yes on the first milestone as a zkDao governor

I confirm milestone 1 as a zkDAO governor.

is there an update on where things are today @tosin ?

Hi @Jacksteroo, we are currently working on setting up a game round for zkDAO members to try it out and give feedback on Saturday, June 18th.

Alongside that, we are setting up a DAO to properly manage all other aspects of the project (including the business, marketing and community development) and will reach out on tg for introductions to any active member of the Harmony gaming community that will be interested in this project.

2 Likes

In order to get more users to run the test round and get useful feedback, we will be extending it for two weeks and also sharing a link below to allow external people to join in