HIP-12: Vote equality

This is voting purely for Validator based decisions.

Holders can stake to a Validator that holds similar views and it is normal for validators to announce their voting intentions and engage in discussion with their delegates before voting.

Hello,

Apparently there is a plan from the core team to implement the quadratic voting.
It is not very clear to me and some clarification from the team have to be made on this thread.
Here was a bounty opened :

Can you give us more details please? @Sam @Jacksteroo

These changes could make this proposal irrelevant, so I invite everyone to stop participating in this thread for now.

1 Like

Thanks for the question and the tag, @ONE4All.

The current state of play on our Snapshot is that we have two methods of voting. (A) you are a validator so you vote with your BLS keys, (B) you are a holder so you vote with your tokens (1 token = 1 vote).

The Quadratic Voting w/ Bands was designed to open up a new option for voting (see the bounty for an explanation). However, that bounty has been closed because I figured out that there was a better more systematic approach to getting more options for voting.

Our snapshot instance is a fork of an older version of snapshot. If we bring our snapshop up to the current version, other voting mechanisms (including quadratic voting) will be enabled.

Additionally - we have integrated Aragon (in testnet right now) and we are working on DAOhaus / MolochDAOs and other DAO related tools that will help provide additional voting options for the DAOs. (@giv has been working non-stop on these so, please give him your cheers).

This bounty wasn’t designed w/ validators in mind, but rather with the common token holder in mind.

I haven’t commented yet on HIP-12 as I don’t run a validator so I am not part of the “interested community” but I would just caution the group on removing key game theory and economic incentive portions of the protocol governance. I am not going to say more about HIP-12.

Thanks!

4 Likes

HIP-12 : Vote Equality is closed

Results : Rejected

36 participants, 18 agree (3.45%) and 18 disagree (27.74%)

Thank you to all the validators who participated in the vote.

Analysis :
First of all, the harmony governance is young.
This proposal was not easy to pass, since there wasn’t a consensus between the validators during the discussion.
Also there was an uncertainty about the quadratic voting which can explain partially the low participation.
Of course the result is disappointing to us.
ONE4All really trust in the capability of every validator to think by themselves and to take the best decision for harmony.
All the voices should count in a more equitable way. That’s why we made this proposal initially.
Keep in mind that the largest validator have more than 60 times more voting power than the smaller elected one.
We strongly believe the decision making has to be more decentralized and equitable for the best interests of the protocol.
We don’t want to rely on a few minorities of validators to take the decision for everyone, and so the actual voting system, stake weight is problematic (considering the balance of the stakes).
With the EPoS system in mind, the validators should be more balanced giving them more or less the same voting power (something similar to our proposal in the end) BUT currently this is not the case.

The voting system is not the only challenge will face the harmony protocol.

There is probably one more important challenge which is the keys management allowing large validators to use as many keys as they want, and to bid below the 0.65EMS.
Why is it problematic for the decentralization ?

• unelected validators are blocked. They are hardly visible if not elected
  • large validators can have a better APY over the smaller ones incitating the delegators to stake there increasing the unbalance between the validators

After a quick calculation, more than 100 keys could be freed adding potentially more than 100 new validators.
This could be amazing for harmony and make it reach the next level.

Let’s make together the right decisions for the future

2 Likes