Rclone Database Shard 0 vs Established Node Shard 0 sizes

Currently the combined databases (shard 0 and whichever shard the validator is operating on) is around 250 GB. Shard 0 DB increases around 1.5-2 GB a day. In order to ensure a validator has enough space to operate safely without their disk filling up and stop signing, they must stay ahead of the DB size by about 50 GB minimum. I cannot speak to all the cloud server options out there but I will use Digital Ocean as the cost example. The only option left from the basic shared CPU servers that has adequate GB space (for now) is the most expensive option at $96 a month for 320 GB of space. Soon, however that will not be enough space and validators will have to add a mounted volume which will increase their costs (every 10GB of space added is $1 a month). The other option is the dedicated server packages; which run about $110 a month for a 300GB mounted drive (same cost of $1 a month per 10GB used). There are various spec servers with the option to add volumes but the premise is the same; the DB for shard 0 is growing exponentially each day.

These were just Digital Ocean prices but the cost is increasing routinely as the DB grows. If validators choose to use a second server for redundancy sake to ensure a good sign rate that doubles the monthly cost. New validators run at 0% commission (if they want to have a chance to compete against other validators) so all server costs are out of pocket. There are many of them who are on their second month being unelected and even after getting elected usually have to maintain 0% fees as long as they can to remain competitive.

Ultimately we are asking for the feasibility of shard 0 database to be reduced in size to prevent validators from walking away due to increasing costs they cannot sustain.

I hope I have answered your question! Let me know if you need any more details and I will do my best to provide them.

5 Likes

Hello @StrongMindsHold,

@rongjian already replied above and hopefully this can be prioritized.

Let me share here for the benefits of all validator some quite good options that still works (may not be able to get 100% uptime but 99.9 is definitely possible)

hope that helps all Harmony validator out there.

3 Likes

The size of shard 0 is growing exponentially, not linearly. If the same rate if increase occurs, shard 0 will be over 2.5 TB this time next year.

4 Likes

These are good solutions we can probably start collecting for everyone’s bennifit, considering that we don’t yet have a validator map of the available data centers for new validators to check on to look for open slots.

1 Like

Hi, as of Nov 12th 2021 shard 0 db0 size is about 337 GB, it’s still growing at a very fast rate, I didn’t anticipate this and run my validator on a 512GB SSD. Is pruning still currently work-in-progress , is there an estimation on when it will be ready ? I just would like to know in order to eventually prepare for a migration to a 1 TB before the remaining space (about 90GB) is used up. Thank you for the answer.

2 Likes

Are there any updates on this issue? DB_0 is at around 800GB and it’s rapidly approaching 1TB.

It’s getting prohibitively expensive.

EDIT: I’ve just seen that @rongjian addressed this issue a few minutes ago in twitter:

4 Likes

The bounty was completed back in October but I guess other priorities took precedence over it…

Hopefully this will get rolled out soon and alleviate this issue.

1 Like

Only for shards 1-3?

1 Like

That doesn’t sound too good…

I was just about to spin up my Pi with a 1TB SSD. Should I return it for a larger one lol? Anyone have a guess when shard0 will hit 1TB.

All depends on how many TX there are per day, currently it can grow anywhere from 3-5GB a day from what I’ve seen. So if the upcoming minimum gas fee increase doesn’t slow the # of tx i’d estimate about 3 months?

1 Like

Is the min gas fee a permanent increase or dynamic based on traffic to avoid spam/attack?

This is all I know, looks fixed.

1 Like

Please excuse my exasperation… I know we’re all in this together but:

db_0 on my nodes is at 723Gb and now I’m out of space. Yet the official Harmony guide is still recommending 486GB for Shard 0 (as of 29/11/2021) without any sort of growth figures discussed.

This spec discrepancy coupled with my disk space issue is probably going to trigger a search for a more cost-effective VPS provider now - and one that can be more flexible where frequent disk upgrades are concerned, it seems.

In the meantime:

• is there any recourse for pruning db_0 on my nodes?
  • If not, then if I delete and resync the ‘smaller’ db_0 would this get me up and running again?
  • … and would I need to do this again further down the line?

I must say that thankfully we’re no where near being elected at the moment.
But I’m sure I’m sure other folk are - and are probably in a worse place right now. :frowning:

ScatchyMonkey @ VaneTempest Validator