Rclone Database Shard 0 vs Established Node Shard 0 sizes

Hello,

This week we’ve had many nodes fill up on disk space.

I’ve been running a lot of tests loading nodes and noticed over the last few weeks an rclone of shard 0 now takes up 167GB of storage.

On an old node I have been running for 2+ months, shard 0 is only at 130GB. On a server I have from a month ago it’s at 155GB.

Here’s a few questions pertaining to storage that some validators have had:

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the storage needed for a fresh rclone?
Should we all plan on much more storage space being the norm for a validator going forward?
Will anything be done to reduce the size of the database a validator needs to hold?

Thank you,

Patrick @ Easy Node
easynode.one

8 Likes

@leo @rongjian :point_up_2: Can you say something about this issue?

3 Likes

I would also like to know as well as several other validators I have spoken with.

2 Likes
  1. the rclone db may not be the cleanest db. @leo maybe we can refresh the rclone db with smaller version like the one with 130GB?

2/3. In the short term, yes, the db will grow as the txn volume keep at a high level. But eventually, we will implement pruned version of the db to cap the storage needed for validators.

4 Likes

@slugo_slugom_crypto we’ll circle back with an estimate completion by the end of the week. Hang in there.

1 Like

I’ve witnessed something similar with my nodes, here’s a few things we’ll be working on Patrick @slugo_slugom_crypto

• To deep dive into the differences in the DB and investigate the root cause
  • To create a fresh copy from block 0 (this will take a week)
  • (bonus) To have the rclone db snapshot occur more frequently (e.g. 3x per day)

This will take us 2-3 weeks to resolve. The current copy should still work, we suspect that the pruning isn’t working as consistently as it should.

2 Likes

ive synced 170gb so far. on day two of syncing. will i still be able to validate even if i dont have the full db?

it depends … non shard 0 you could validate but if your node is s0 it won’t validate until you are fully synced

@slugo_slugom_crypto @harmonious … thanks to @sophoah for restoring a fresh copy, we now have a cleaner Shard 0 db. Closing the loop here based on confirmations on Discord

2 Likes