Harmony Egypt DAO Formation - MENA Technical Hub

Arabic/Egypt DAO

Regional DAO

Proposal overview

Egypt is the hub of development in the MENA region. According to Gartner, Egypt is among top 9 outsourcing countries in shared services, and captives in Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA). One of Egypt’s key attractions for the sourcing industry is its competitive costs. Egypt is cheaper than many Eastern European countries that specialize in the IT sourcing industry.

Oxford Business Group cited Egypt’s outsourcing industry as going from strength to strength, with an annual growth rate of about 7.5% since 2014.The growth of the outsourcing sector in Egypt contributed to the growth of the ICT sector in Egypt by 13% and recorded 4.1% of GDP

There are many Government incentives available for cloud computing, open-source and mobile applications development to serve the Egyptian market and the wider region, but still we lack BLOCKCHAIN initiatives. We can summarize Egyptian market as follow:

1. Low and competitive labor costs.
  2. Good command of English for dealing with overseas customers.
  3. Same time zone advantage with Europe and provides a second shift for the United States.
  4. Geographically well located for most African and European cities and some Asian countries.
  5. A huge support from the government to new initiatives.

Currently, We have partnered with four universities in Egypt. We have already trained more than +400 students, and we want to incentivize students after completing the workshops. We want to have more incentive to offer students After completing the workshops. The course illustrate (Business use cases, and technical implementation). The objective after completing the course to introduce new dapps that fit with the MENA market.

Team

• Maged Mohamed ( Technical Support )
  • Aya Qasim ( Management)
  • Heba Elgamal ( Technical Support )
  • Hala Ahmed( Partnership )
  • Omar Mohamed( Broadcasts )
  • Youssef Alaa ( Technical support)
  • Asmaa Qasim ( Financial/Account )
  • Norhan Khalid ( Technical support )
  • Mai Rostom ( Event Organizer )

Proposal ask

• 72k for initial launch for Arabic community building

• $10k for translating ar.harmony.one.

• $10k for hosting 2 meetups for 50 people each or begin a series of workshops in blockchain usecases in MENA, how to build with Harmony.

• $10k for partnering with a regional hackathon of 100 developers (We want to complete training programs in (two universities in the summer).

• $5k for sourcing 5 approved grantees from that language or region (This could be achieved via a hackathon in summer for fresh-graduates and students).

• $5k for Women in tech program - encourage women to be blockchain developers through a hackathon.

• $15k for Technical course to illustrate building dapps in Harmony in Arabic language. It would be a video-series on Youtube.

• $10k for growing a public community to 1,000 active members on Twitter.

• 10% due to volatility in prices.

Metrics for success

• 1st goal: Translate [ar.harmony.one] website,

• 1k users on Telegram, 250 users on Discord,

• Partnership with 1 dApp in Harmony ecosystem,

• introductory course on the development of dApps in Arabic

• 2nd goal: Writing research articles of dApps ecosystem in Harmony,

• 1.5k users on Telegram.

• Partnership with 2 dApps, making 2 videos

• 3rd goal: Review events of dApps ecosystem in Harmony,

• 2k users on Telegram, 750 users on Discord,

• We seek Senior students to attend our workshop then we will offer them a graduation project through our mentorship program.

External links

(Events and community activities)
Our team represents Egypt in the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime(UNODC).
talking about how blockchain could Fit as a use case

Blockchain Training
We do university training program since 2019

We have a great team technical experience with multiple success stories.

At last, Thank you for this opportunity.

Thanks for your proposal, it has been assigned and the team will review and respond shortly :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you @Mattyontap for your reply. We have already partnered with a new university (Zawil university) to begin the program in summer.

thanks.

Hello, @mmjazzar

Thank you for bringing this proposal to Harmony. I think Harmony Egypt DAO would be an incredible addition to our Regional DAO ecosystem. There are a few components missing from this proposal to be considered for approval according to the Regional DAO guidelines and Harmony’s DAO Funding Guidelines.

1. 3 Mandates. Initial Regional DAO mandates are suggested as:

Growth : Onboard users on missions and culture, pollinate values across communities

Engagement : Amplify content of roadmap and milestones, creative campaigns of products

Diversity : Solicit voices and votes in forums, reinforce strong governance participation

1. Scheduling a second election for the signatories of the DAO treasury.

Regional DAO’s have been starting at 5 milestones paid out in $10K upon completion of milestone. The suggested milestones are:

We recommend the following 5 initial deliverables for each regional DAO.

• $10k for translating open.harmony.one.
  • $10k for host 2 meetups for 50 people each
  • $10k for partnering with a regional hackathon of 100 developers.
  • $10k for sourcing 5 approved grantees from that language or region.
  • $10k for growing public community to 1,000 active members on Twitter.

ar.harmony.one appears to be translated already. Was that something that the Egypt DAO has accomplished already? Or does the Egypt DAO plan on translating to a different language. Please forgive my ignorance on this matter :sweat_smile:

Thank you @frwrdslosh for your quick reply. I will update the proposal again today.

We have already begin translating some content but not uploaded yet. Anyway, we are excited to begin a university program and support students/women to begin in the blockhain domain.

Regarding the proposal, I will update governers profile, and add more details for Mandates, and second election,

Thanks

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response @mmjazzar

Would also like to provide you with a quick update from Harmony as well:

The Harmony DAO Ops team will resume approvals and funding on May, 1st. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we learn best practices and navigate the proposal process.

note: this comment is not an approval of the proposal

Thank you for your reply, we will add update the proposal by tomorrow with the latest version.

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, but we are working to update the proposals to fit all the guidelines. Defiantly, we are interested working hard to achieve the initial deliverables for Egyptian DAO, but we want to focus on training students, and build a community of researchers and developers. This proposal reflects our own vision for the Egyptian community need. We want to build a sustainable DAO.

in 2019, we have an active community, and several meetups are organized, but suddenly everything is disappeared. As a team we work alone with some initiative with universities for training. That’s why we want to have a sustainable goals that could be achieved and increase the number of developers in Egyptian market.

The number of companies in Egyptian market that seek blocckhain developers are very limited. That’s why we want to educate and train then brings opportunities through Hackathon and more activities. Since this is the best advantage we have as a team, team relation, and time (summer). We already have four universities interested for what we are building and eager to collaborate.

We recommend the following 5 initial deliverables for each regional DAO.

• $10k for translating open.harmony.one.
  • $10k for host 2 meetups for 50 people each
  • $10k for partnering with a regional hackathon of 100 developers.
  • $10k for sourcing 5 approved grantees from that language or region.
  • $10k for growing public community to 1,000 active members on Twitter.`

Since another team is working on translating ar.harmony.one; we can collaborate with them or focus on training). That’s why we want to customize our initial deliverables to:

$60k for initial launch for Arabic community building

• $10k for hosting 2 meetups for 50 people. We can guarantee more attendees as we want to begin a series of workshops in blockchain usecases in MENA, how to build with Harmony.
  • $10k for partnering with a regional hackathon of 100 developers (We want to complete training programs in (two universities at least in the summer).
  • $5k for sourcing 5 approved grantees from that language or region (This could be achieved via a hackathon in summer for fresh-graduates and students).
  • $5k for Women in tech program - encourage women to be blockchain developers through a hackathon.
  • $15k for Technical course to illustrate building dapps in Harmony in Arabic language. It would be a video-series on Youtube (This could be included during the training).
  • $10k for growing a public community to 1,000 active members on Twitter.
  • 5k due to volatility in prices.

I just want to mention, when we consider a training course, it include all Arabic speakers not only Egyptian.

Regarding Egyptian Mandates DAO,

Growth : Onboard users on missions and culture, pollinate values across communities. We focus more on BuidLing educate students and brings more developers to harmony community.
Engagement : Amplify content of roadmap and milestones, hackathons, training, Increase awareness of Harmony blockchain, DAO, and how to be part of the community.
Diversity : Solicit voices and votes in forums, reinforce strong governance participation, we are open to hear more thoughts and build the Egyptian DAO community together.

We are open to hear from you.

I will share the team profile and wallet details in a next reply.

Thank you for the updates, @mmjazzar

All approvals and proposals for DAO Bootstrap Funding are still paused. This is a temporary measure. Please do not let this dissuade you and your team from building. Stay tuned for another update regarding DAO Bootstrap Funding :soon:

Also, your updated recommended milestones have been noted and will be discussed with the Harmony DAO Ops team.

:blue_heart:

note: this comment is not an approval of this proposal.

no worries, we will work and keep update the proposal.

I think your ask is hugely way above the amount acceptable. Considering what happened to the Turkey DAO – where some of the DAO govs ran off after receiving 100x their monthly salary – it would be better if you asked for less. 10k for translating documents in Egypt… I think you know very well that is not 10k to translate those documents in Egypt if we posted this on UpWork. 10k for hosting 2 meetups with 50 people each in Cairo… it does not cost 10k for that either.

The fact you wrote, “ar.harmony.one appears to be translated already. Was that something that the Egypt DAO has accomplished already? Or does the Egypt DAO plan on translating to a different language. Please forgive my ignorance on this matter :sweat_smile:” means that you know your 10k ask for translating documents is wrong.

1 Like

Hello @GeorgeofEmmaInterest thank you for your reply. We follow the guideline proposal. which already consider adding 10k for translation. I am not sure if you have followed up the previous reply. You will find, we will not working anymore on translation. We focus more having more blockchain develoeprs, researchers to the community. That’s why we focus on training, introducing technical course. Till now there is no technical course in Arabic language illustrate the value of layer 2 blockchain.

Hope that makes sense. you can check my second comment here for more clarification.

thanks

You know harmony is not a layer two right?

I am talking in general not for a specific topic, Arabic language is missing content for layer-2, DeFi, Play to earn, GameFI, etc. That’s where we want to cover in this technical gap.

That’s our main proposal.
$60k for initial launch for Arabic community building

$10k for hosting 2 meetups for 50 people. We can guarantee more attendees as we want to begin a series of workshops in blockchain usecases in MENA, how to build with Harmony.
$10k for partnering with a regional hackathon of 100 developers (We want to complete training programs in (two universities at least in the summer).
$5k for sourcing 5 approved grantees from that language or region (This could be achieved via a hackathon in summer for fresh-graduates and students).
$5k for Women in tech program - encourage women to be blockchain developers through a hackathon.
$15k for Technical course to illustrate building dapps in Harmony in Arabic language. It would be a video-series on Youtube (This could be included during the training).
$10k for growing a public community to 1,000 active members on Twitter.
5k due to volatility in prices.

You know that Harmony is not a layer 2 blockchain right? You keep saying it is a layer 2 blockchain. It is not a layer-2 blockchain. It’s a layer 1. All you do is quote how much money you can get but you don’t seem to understand the fundamentals of Harmony. How would you organise developers with your lack of fundamental understanding of Harmony’s technology?

If you just want to cover those things as a technical gap, my advice would be to make a Arabic-language bounty instead of creating a whole new DAO for it. That is to say, if you read the Harmony documentation (which I don’t think you have).

I am not sure why you take this personally!

I am talking about missing content in the Arabic community, I did not specify harmony in my previous post. I think you need to check my PREVIOUS reply again.

Again, We have an objective here in the proposal and I do not think you have checked it. I will posit it here again for your info.

Currently, We have partnered with four universities in Egypt. We have already trained more than +400 students, and we want to incentivize students after completing the workshops. We want to have more incentive to offer students After completing the workshops. The course illustrate (Business use cases, and technical implementation). The objective after completing the course to introduce new dapps that fit with the MENA market.

Thanks again for your constructive feedback.

Why do you claim I am taking it personally if you also say I am giving you constructive feedback? That seems kinda passive aggressive.

Can we see some documentation around these university partnerships? Other proposals have claimed they have partners but then produced 0 evidence for it. And we’re not talking about university societies or clubs, we’re talking about an official partnership with a Computer Science department, correct?

Also, why do you keep saying Harmony is a layer-2 blockchain? I am just correcting you.

Here we have a common point. I believe, it is important to provide our partnership details, but no-one has asked me for that and we keep working.

Here is some of our training courses in one of the university in Egypt.

We have more partnership with other universities, but we need to know if we would consider harmony to be added our proposal.

I think this is personally, as I did not mention Harmony in the proposal if it is layer 1 or 2.

You just misunderstood what I mean. Again I mentioned We missed Arabic content in layer 2, DeFi, GameFi, etc.

Hope that clear this point and no need to correct something I did not say.

Again, We have one objective, we want to train more senior students, organize events that helps bring more developers to the community. There is a huge opportunity here, and we have already brings more than +100 students to the community. Having a technical course and business use cases well-illustrated would be very valuable.

Alright looks pretty good. If you can upload a demo course that was like an hour long, that might help.

Sadly, the previous course we do not have recorded video, but what we do in each course as the following:

• 3 basic projects in blockchain.
  • 1 capstone project.
  • Each student record a video illustrate what he learned during the course.

and we are open for suggestions.