Zitherin - D&D style RPG, completely on-chain, NFTs with tradable attributes

Name of Project / DAO / Company

Zitherin

Application type

Product Launch

Proposal overview

Zitherin is a cross chain, novel, retro, NFT-based D&D style game. All token data for the game is stored completely on-chain - there are no pointers to IPFS or any other web resource. Each NFT used in the game will have attributes that can be traded with other players, without trading the entire token.

The artwork is all pixel art, fitting with the retro theme.

Phase 1: Generation 1 Heroes

Each player will be able to mint a generation 1 hero. At mint time, the characteristics of each hero are randomly generated and displayed on the portrait; characteristics such as gender, skin tone, hair style, etc. All generation 1 heroes are minted with the same baseline of hit points and mana pools.

Where Zitherin begins to be unique, is that every attribute of the NFTs are tradable. Zitherin includes an initial web-based marketplace, allowing players to price the attributes on their heroes, and trade these attributes with other players.

At the end of Phase 1, a player will be able to use a web app to mint a hero, view their heroes in the browser, set prices on the attributes of their heroes, and trade attributes with other players of the game.

Deliverables for Phase 1 include:

• ERC721 contract and supporting contracts for generating heroes
  • A webapp allowing players to mint and view their heroes, as well as price and trade the attributes of their heroes.

Phase 2: Equipment

Beyond minting heroes, players will be able to mint different sets of equipment. Each bag of equipment minted will contain a variety of items; items such as weapons, shields, rings, armor, etc. The items will be randomly generated at mint time and range in rarity - common, rare, epic, legendary. Each bag of equipment will be a single NFT.

Consistent with the “everything is tradable” theme of Zitherin, individual pieces of gear will be able to be traded with other players, using the same market place as previously mentioned. Players will be able to build gear sets unique to a variety of heroes.

Deliverables for phase 2 include:

• ERC721 contract and supporting contracts for generating equipment
  • Updates to the web app allowing players to mint and view their equipment, as well as price and trade their equipment

Phase 3: Equip gear, in-game tokens

Phase 3 aims to make the gear from Phase 2 equip-able to a specific hero. When a player equips their gear, they will see their heroes portrait updated, reflecting the newly equipped gear.

The game will require several game-specific tokens. Phase 3 includes creating and deploying these tokens. They will not yet be usable (coming in Phase 4). The tokens to be used include:

• In-game currency
  • Crafting materials
    • There will be 2 different types of crafting materials in the game

Deliverables for phase 3 include:

• Updates to the Heroes and Equipment contracts to allow for assigning specific sets of equipment to specific heroes.
    • Equipment may not be equipped by more than one hero at a time
  • 3 ERC20 contracts:
    • In-game currency
    • Crafting material 1 (common material)
    • Crafting material 2 (rare material)

Phase 4: Encounters

Phase 3 is where the game gets exciting.Encounters will be similar to dungeons in games such as World of Warcraft, Everquest, Rift, etc. Each encounter will contain:

• One or more minor bosses
  • A single, primary boss encounter
  • Random amount of treasure awarded to the player

Once a player has equipped one of their heroes with a set of gear, that hero is ready to be sent into an encounter. Some encounters are single use - they can only be ran a single time - while others are multi-use; allowing players to experience an encounter, trade them, and grow their collection.

Encounters are not without risk! Heroes may lose hit points during an encounter. Should a heroes hit points reach zero, that hero will need to be resurrected before they can be used any further.

Boss strength and difficulty are determined at mint time, as are treasure rewards. After successfully completing the encounter, the player is rewarded with a bounty of treasure. Treasure can contain in-game currency, crafting materials, equipment, or even heroes. Most treasure will contain in-game currency, and some crafting materials. Contents of treasure are randomly generated at runtime; for multi-use encounters the rewards will be different each time a hero is sent into the encounter.

Deliverables for phase 4 include:

• Updates to Heroes and Equipment contracts to support Encounters
  • ERC721 contract and supporting contracts for Encounters

Future Phases

The work as outlined above will take several months to complete. However, the roadmap for Zitherin is long, and quite interesting. Some of the things in mind for far-future work include:

• Crafting - use those crafting supplies!
    • Recipes will be new tokens, able to burn crafting supplies and mint new equipment
  • Group Encounters - play with your friends/send multiple heroes. The more heroes, the bigger the rewards (and the risk!)
  • Additional generations of heroes - burn generation 1 heros to raise generation 2 heros.
  • Cross-chain gameplay. Zitherin is built with cross-chain play in mind. This opens the door for fun events and more, such as:
    • Chain-specific encounters, gear, bonuses
    • World wide contests - pit chain against chain
    • Specialized group encounters requiring heroes and equipment from different chains

Current stage of development

Zitherin is in Phase 1 right now. The contracts are being written, and artwork is complete.

Team

Right now the team consists of myself as the primary developer.
I’ve been writing software for over 15 years, and have been building blockchain apps on the side for nearly 10 years; apps from arbitrage bots on centralized exchanges, to games of chance, and mining pool software.

I prototyped the NFT with tradable attributes, completely on chain, as an experiment. Now I’m thrilled to bring the concept to life in an actual game.

You can reach me on Discord at auggyauggy#1844

Proposal ask

$50k, assistance with marketing and community building

Justification

Right now, this project is being developed by a solo developer (me). I’m working on this afterhours. I’ve built the prototype for the NFT with tradable attributes, as well as most of Phase 1, on my nights and weekends. In order to maintain a high quality product, with readable code, producing as few errors as possible, I need additional developers.

The game also needs art. So far, I’ve been paying the artist out of pocket to produce the artwork for the heroes. I’d like to ensure that a high quality graphical product continues to be produced, to match the high quality software.

In addition, I need help with marketing and community building. I’ve been a software developer all of my career, and marketing is not something that comes naturally to me. I’m hoping to lean on the existing Harmony community for assistance with this as well.

Metrics for success

10k players
$1million in total volume

2 Likes

Some samples of the Heroes artwork:

1 Like

Thank you for the submission, @auggyauggy. The artwork looks interesting and I’m excited to see where this project is headed. Unfortunately, your proposal is not ready for a Launch grant based on the guidelines at Apply for Grants or DAO due to the following reasons:

Applications of each launch must have prototyped a feature-full product. Harmony helps incubate these founding teams with product development, fundraising, and talent recruit. We recommend a $50K equity-free contribution each:

$10K after launching a feature-complete product on our testnet
$10K after forming a DAO with 5-out-of-9 multisig with our DAOs
$10K after launching on our mainnet with audit
$10K after 1K daily active users (with launch video, full PR promotion)
$10K after 10k daily active users (with a detailed roadmap, governance process)

We hope you continue to build on this concept and circle back when it is ready to be discussed further. Thank you for choosing Harmony.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT:

@auggyauggy - Let me add to my previous update.

Can you form a team, share more game assets and come close to building a prototype? If so, take the time you need, come back with that info on your team formation as well as screenshots/video of your game assets or prototype, and let’s talk about a launch grant!

I will not close this grant yet and look forward to your response!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! I’ve been working on forming a team - I’ll be adding another developer and a marketing person soon. I’ll be wrapping up Phase 1 within 2 weeks (fingers crossed), and I’ll have that up and working on testnet to play with.

I’ll update this thread when I have more to show - I’m excited about continuing!

2 Likes

Hey @auggyauggy - Just checking in to touch base on progress. We’ll hold this open for a few weeks. Thanks and let us know when you’re ready to proceed.

Hi @dpagan-harmony ! Thanks for the followup.

I’ve been hard at work with the Phase 1 contracts. I’m expecting to deploy the first iteration of them to the testnet by this weekend. I’ve teamed up with another developer to get some help on the React app side of things, which should speed up getting to a useable game.

For the Phase 1 contracts, the randomization of asset generation is working quite well. There are a few minor bugs I need to work out, but I’m anticipating having the contracts out by the weekend. I’ll attach a few samples to this message. As I’m testing, all the heroes will have earrings, a necklace, and be smoking; these will not be guaranteed (and will be quite rare) once it’s deployed on testnet.

In addition, the background I’m using for the sample generation will be a rare background when the contrats are deployed. The standard backgrounds are solid colors - there are 4 non-solid color backgrounds.

The 6 progress bars on the bottom of the hero are used to represent different talents and abilities of the hero. For the generation 1 heros, at mint time, the skills and abilities will all be set to zero. Players will be able to level up their heroes through participating in various in-game activities.

I’ve changed up the assets from the initial posting I made here. I favored the assets shown in the cards attached to this post, over the original ones. The original assets will be introduced into the game in a future point, though.

So, the tldr update for now is that the Phase 1 contracts should be deployed to testnet by the weekend. I’m hoping to have a barebones set up, to allow testers to mint heroes, as well as price and trade the attributes/traits of the heroes. I’m considering that more of a stretch goal for the weekend, though!

Here’s a sample of some heroes:

They’re built from a pool of assets at mint time, using the Harmony VRF as a source of randomness, to randomly pick from the on-chain assets. Here’s a sample of some of the assets that are available:

Our artist is hard at work producing more shirts, more pants/shorts, more shoes, more hair, more facial features as well. There will be a very large pool of attributes that each hero will be randomly generated from.

2 Likes

Here’s a sample of some more heroes. There’s some minor tweaking that needs to be done - the core aspects of randomly picking traits and assigning them to a token at mint time are working well.

Hi all! Just a quick update - I deployed to testnet last night and I’m running in to some gas limit issues. I’ll be making some adjustments this weekend. I’m hopeful that I’ll have a barebones webapp up that lets folks mint and view the tokens on testnet within the next couple of days.

Hey @auggyauggy if you need some help testing it let me know and I can play with it. Cheers.

That’d be great! I put together a quick and dirty web UI to mint and view tokens on the testnet. The web UI is rough - it’s a hastily thrown together Hashlips clone.

You can mint testnet heroes here: React App

You can view a specific hero here: React App
where 15 is the tokenId

You can view random heros here: React App

The metadata for the token is displayed on the app, and logged to the browser’s console as well.

When you mint a token, each attribute (except the status bars, and card front design) are picked at random from a list of all the options. The seed for the random number is Harmony’s VRF. The entire token - ownership record, metadata, and image - is stored on-chain.

I want to stress that the web UI available on testnet.zitherin.com is not what the final product will look like. It’s a quick app put together to show minting, random attribute generation, and display of the token.

More to come!

Hey @auggyauggy and hope all is well. I know you’re heads-down into building your project and won’t take too much of your time here.

Since we’re a ways away from being ready for a launch proposal, I’ll officially decline the proposal for now so I can clean up my queue, but please don’t let that discourage you. Continue building and please come back with your full-featured product on testnet and the team, and we’ll take another look once that’s ready.

Feel free to continue using this thread if you would like.

Thanks and good luck on the work ahead!

I look forward to seeing some gameplay.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Unfortunately, your proposal is not ready for a Launch grant based on the guidelines at Apply for Grants or DAO due to the following reasons:

Applications of each launch must have prototyped a feature-full product. Harmony helps incubate these founding teams with product development, fundraising, and talent recruit.
We hope you continue to build on this concept and circle back when it is ready to be discussed further. Thank you for choosing Harmony.

Hey @dpagan-harmony, thanks for the note. It makes sense - Zitherin isn’t full featured yet (and probably won’t be for a hot minute).

I’ll drop development updates in this thread as the game progresses

Tested the mint function, works well. Obviously it’s not a finished product so i’m guessing you’ll be adding a lot more features like displaying what i have minted, the rarity etc. Good luck and keep building!

Exactly right, the bits you mentioned are in the works. Thanks for testing out the mint!

1 Like

Quick update for today. With the holidays, I haven’t had as much time to dedicate to Zitherin as I would have liked. But, there’s been some great progress.

Phase 1 is nearing completion! The smart contracts for the minting of heroes, as well as trading all of the heroes attributes, is done and deployed to testnet. I’ve switched the URL for the barebones testnet app; it is now available at https://harmonytestnet.zitherin.com.

I’ll be putting up a main webpage, documentation, as well as finalizing the webapp that enable players to trade attributes on their heroes “soon” :smiley: I’ll drop updates in this thread as they’re ready