Disclaimer this is a discussion about the Master Class program, we want to get your feedback and make changes that will benefit our Validators, Harmony ecosystem, and Delegators.
One of the main deliverables for VDAO Term 3 is to launch a Mentorship Program for validators.
During the last weeks, we’ve received great constructive feedback from the community on how to achieve that deliverable.
What exactly are Master Classes?
Master classes will be open to any validator new, experienced or wannabe. The classes will have a lesson plan developed by an instructor and will cover a range of topics that are most requested by the validators.
How are Master Classes structured?
Two types are proposed and feedback is needed from the validator community on which type would be preferred.
1. Open structure
- Lesson topic selected by the validators at the start of the week
- Classes will be held twice a week
- Each class will last 2 hour maximum
- Attendees will not need to register to join
2. Formal structure
- Lesson topics will be chosen in a sequential format such as introduction > node setup > security, etc.
- Different class types: Advanced and Beginner
- Beginner classes with have more time and sessions per week
- Attendees will need to register to join
3. Both structures
- Classes taught by an experienced validator
- Feedback forms will be requested of attendees
- A lesson plan followed by a Q&A session
- Time zone for the classes (TBD)
- Two instructors will be needed for the Master Class
What topics will be addressed in the Master Classes?
The topics will be based on popular requests from Harmony validators. However the first Master Class will be directed to introducing potential validators to validating on Harmony. Some example topics are: How to set up your validator, How to transfer between shards, How to create a brand, How to improve security, How to market a validator, etc.
What if I still have questions after the Master Class?
The idea is for the Master Class to have a Q & A session for answering questions. However it is understood that when implementing the lessons learned that additional questions will develop. Attendees will be directed to the VDAO guides and encouraged to join Harmony Discord and/or Telegram channels for further assistance. As always a validator can reach out to any VDAO governor if the guides, Harmony community chats and Master Classes did not cover/address any questions that they may still have.were not helpful.
Who can apply to be an Instructor for the Master Classes?
For the initial testing phase we will prefer for validators who met the following criteria:
- Validators with at least 6 months experience
- Being an elected validator at the time of application
- More than 5M total stake
- Application process (TBD)
- Selection process (TBD)
How would the process work in more detail?
- Topic for the class is selected by the validator community
- Accept applications for instructors
- The Harmony validators wanting to attend will select an instructor subject to Harmony VDAO review
- The instructor will set up a Clockify account to track hours
- Schedule the master class in the Harmony VDAO Discord (Channel named #masterclasses, with a subchannel for each class)
- Harmony VDAO will review/approve the instructor’s lesson plan before the class
- The instructor will take attendance
- The instructor will lecture and record the Master Class (but not the Q&A session)
- The instructor at the end of the class will request Google feedback forms be filled out.
The first Master Classes will be set up as a trial run. Because of this, the first instructors will be limited to Governors and only four trial classes will be held. During this time feedback will be collected and reviewed. When the Master classes are under review, the VDAO will make the determination whether to continue to pursue the Master Classes or not. Thus, validator feedback is very important in the assessment of the Master Classes.
Budget for Instructors
- $75 per hour
- Maximum of 4 hours per week for open structured classes (1-3 classes)
- Maximum 3 hours per week for Advanced Classes (1 session)
- Maximum 6 hours per week for Beginner Classes (2 sessions)
- 1 month of 4 weeks is $1200 for a 30 day program
- Payment subject to Harmony VDAO review
Note: The VDAO may refuse payment for classes not held by the instructor. The VDAO may also refuse payment for an instructor not following the lesson plan or other misbehaviors.
The following is up for review and suggestions by the validator community. There are some aspects that the validator community need to consider such as:
Instructor Time Breakdown - what time for lesson prep, class time and Q&A
Length of the Master Classes (30 days, 60 days)
Overall longevity of the classes
Please let us know your opinions about this program!
This is not the final form of this program and your opinions are extremely valuable.