Discussion: RPC limits? Do we want to limit our growth or put up more servers to handle the load?

The title pretty much sums this one up but the idea is to have a very small unnoticeable fraction of each transaction go to a wallet to pay for high-quality RPC servers and whatever other server power we may need, that would be governed by the Validator DAO and community. They will decide who runs the RPC servers and gets the funding to do so. That will also help to ensure that we have the best servers and best people running them as well.

5 Likes

This sounds like an interesting discussion to have. It could be something that also has some financial incentive for the Node runner…

3 Likes

It has a financial incentive for everyone. :blue_heart:

1 Like

Or should I say everyONE? :wink:

2 Likes

Does anyone have a better idea? If so please bring it forth we need to come up with a solution here. This could fund all validators current and future, RPC servers, etc, that wallet will grow very large very fast and not one individual user or transaction would notice at all. Do you see the potential here? The ecosystem could pay for itself. Operators get paid for what they do without having to worry about paying for what they do :wink: Get the idea here. Let’s do thing’s differently than others. We are Harmony not all the rest…

We are ONE :blue_heart: :rocket:

1 Like

I guess I forgot to point out how this is also the truly decentralized way in the sense of the way things are right now with Harmony. We let the family or community if you want to call it that, decide what happens. My idea will allow the community to choose who gets funding and who runs the servers and will also ensure that the servers are held to certain standards so we have no 56k moments on 1-second finality Harmony protocol.

1 Like

How would you determine what RPC the user is on?

E.g. if he uses pokt, the proceedings would also go to that wallet.

This would render using alternative RPCs useless or at least disadvantageous. Making this service centralized.

I prefer approaches like POKT. That is really decentralized.

Or there will be quality RPC provider, that can be payed and utilized by applications. Like infura on Ethereum.

3 Likes

Everything would be decided by the DAO and community. Who runs them, what equipment and providers they run on, what software they run, etc., and all of those little details can and will be worked out when the time comes. It would be fully decentralized in the same way that Harmony will be. The community will decide all. Votes.

1 Like

I can imagine a guide to setting up your RPC to being open to the public and then having it tested and added to a Harmony-managed load balancer. However, the networking (and response if your server goes down, etc.) is hard to communicate. I like the idea of a direct incentive based on use though, as it would help cover the costs of running such a service.

1 Like