Grants: Polkapets

Name of Project / DAO / Company

Polkapets

Application type

Grant/Partnership

Proposal overview

PolkaPets focus on driving education and participation in the Polkadot ecosystem while providing revenue and marketing opportunities for upcoming projects. Each PolkaPet NFT represents a project on Polkadot with ‘special moves’ that correspond to their project’s characteristics.
We’ve established strong relationships with Polkadot and more than 21 partner projects to build a PolkaPet ecosystem, leveraging the network effect and expanding our PPW network to a broader reach of buyers through Harmony.

:ocean: Opensea Link: https://opensea.io/collection/polkapets

Past Performance:

• 21 NFT Polkadot Partners, 600k+ audience
  • Over $2B Mcap for project participation
  • All cards are sold out
  • $7.5M in sales
  • 4.1k NFT holders

Competitive Advantages:

• Network Effect: Established strong relationships with Polkadot and more than 21 partner projects to build a PolkaPet ecosystem, leveraging the network effect and expanding our PPW network to a broader reach of buyers.
  • Strong Fan Community: Highly engaged community who are passionate about collectibles and crypto and love to invest in and collect our NFTs. Buying PPW NFTs is a creative way to fund a project and get rewarded through utilities and perks coming with the cards.
  • High Quality Creative: We have 7 in-house artists & game developers designated to craft the Polkapet world, from character planning to card design, from storytelling to gamification.

Team

Harry Liu— Team Lead
CEO of Bondly, Google Partner

Doug Ferguson — Head of Art & Creatives
former SVP Product Development at the Pokémon Company

David Brubaker - Head of Technology
Worked at well-known companies including Amazon, HP, Dell, and Rapid7.

+other [8] team members
Funded and advised by Animoca, Astar, Sandbox, MantraDao
Link: https://polkapet.world/

Proposal ask

$300k

Justification

20% in BD for NFT utility creation
20% in token rewards
30% art and creatives
30% game development in Harmony

Metrics for success

Your PolkaPet friends represent the first step into introducing crypto-collectibles in the real-world. The PolkaPet collectibles will be the bridge between digital collectibles and real-world tangible cards and will help develop demand for NFTs as the space continues to develop. Our goal with PolkaPets is to create a world-wide community with our global partners and bring people together in an effort to educate and innovate on the power of NFTs.

:dart: Milestone 1 - Pet creation for Harmony Ecosystem projects(Q4 2021 - Q4 of 2022)

• Support Harmony Ecosystem through creation of PolkaPets for ecosystem projects
  • Create independent utility for each pet

:dart: Milestone 2 - Staking To Get Promo NFT Drops(Q4 of 2021)

• Partner with Harmony ecosystem projects for drop rewards
  • Locked staking of Harmony for stakers to get promo NFT drops
  • Locked staking of ecosystem projects to get NFT drops

:dart: Milestone 3 - Mini Game For Each Pet(Q1 of 2022)

• Creation of Mini game for PolkaPet
  • have $ONE as one of the in-game currency

:pick: Future Plans

• Provide cross chain experience and expand the PolkaPet world brand to multiple chains.
  • Have NFT as Metaverse pass to access exclusive content and groups

External links

Telegram: Telegram: Contact @polkapetworld
Twitter: https://twitter.com/polkapets?lang=en

1 Like

Hello @cece
Thank you for this proposal, it looks amazing.

I want to point you to the /300 overview of our grants program. In particular, let’s focus on what sort of grant Polkapets is – a Port.

1. 100 Ports ($20M). Recipients of each grant for porting must have achieved product-market fit. Harmony helps scale these thriving projects to our mainnet. We recommend $50-250K each over 4-8 weeks, on projects already with active 10K users, and engaging their teams in public forums. Prime areas of market growths are Play-to-Earn games, musician fan clubs, investment DAOs, portfolio dashboards, and event and collectible curators.

So a few things I would point out. First, the Port grant caps out at $250K. Your request is at $300K so we are a little over the planned budget. Second, these grants are focused on projects that have achieved product/market fit, which is really evidenced by 10K active users. (As mentioned in the post.)

I do see that you have 13K+ twitter followers and that your audience (through your partners) is over 600K, so I am not massively worried about the adoption metrics. But 4K NFT holders with a request for an oversized grant makes me a little hesitant.

The justification also leaves a touch to be desired. While you do a good break down, I don’t quite see how some components are justifiable as a grant. (20% = $60K for BD? That is more than what we normally give to bootstrap a brand new project).

I don’t want to discourage you - but I was wondering if you could revise and pull the proposal more in-line with the grant guidelines.

My thanks!
Sam Harrison
Ecosystem Growth | Harmony

1 Like

Hi Sam,

Thank you for sharing the ports grant info! First, about the proposal ask amount, we will lower our proposal ask to 250k.

Second, regarding the 10k active users requirement. Yes, we have 4.2k holders for the first edition Polkapet NFTs. However, after we announced the PETS token launch and roadmap about the NFT/Defi staking a week ago, we have achieved over 30k members in the TG group and 65k twitter followers.( Grew 5X over the week! ) The community is very hyped up about the Polkapet future Dapp&Game launches! Also, we are continuously onboarding new partners! Some partners for next NFT launches: Solarbeam, Meter Passport, Freeriver. And we are talking with Mochi about the partnerships as well. Don’t worry about the 10k active users, we are killing it^^

Third, I revised the breakdown of the fund.
15% in BD for NFT utility creation – 37.5k
25% in token rewards – 62.5k
30% art and creatives – 75k
30% game development in Harmony – 75k

Regrading the BD cost and the arts cost, as we would need at least 5 pets to kickstart a new chain, where users get to stake on Harmony to get NFTs, it is important that our BD team and Arts team have the capacity to onbarding new projects. Despite we have an art team of 8, we are overloaded with art requests from existing projects, while creating pets for new projects.

Let me know if have more questions and I am willing answer :slight_smile:

Thank you!
Cece| Polkapet BD

Forgive me if I speak out of turn here, in case you have been in touch with Sam.

I’d like to chime in here on the Port structure a bit further based on Harmony Grants and Investments (Paused). The $250K grant funds will be released in the following sequence, with the following requirements, to help with sustainability with a DAO support and incentives for growing utility.

As grants, we give $50K for porting to our mainnet and another $25K for forming a DAO on our platform. For any project, a DAO ensures community participation, product sustainability, and open governance. We recommend a 5-out-9 multisig account on Gnosis Safe with 3 governors from the project team, 3 governors from the project community, and 3 governors from Harmony DAOs – namely, ONEcommunityDAO, ONEdeveloperDAO, ONEincubatorDAO. We also give five additional $35K grants, totally $250K with the initial $50K+25K grants, each for running joint campaigns to double the key user metrics.

We will need your feedback in terms of what metrics to double and I’m confident that the PolkaPets team can hit the numbers. Please let us know whether this structure works for you.

2 Likes