Mars Colony — Project X

Thank you for your reply Rutherford, i’ll try to explain it further and rephrase + clarify myself.

To be frank, this is (to me) thinking and reasoning a little bit in circles. Yes, every startup always could use more funding, doesn’t mean that it’s a smart move right away (obligations to funding party, capital inefficiency, scaling problems etc). Since you mentioned that you’re an active community member you also have to take into account some of the biases one could have. I believe that it would be wise to have more unbiased people weigh in their opinions/thoughts on those subjects from time to time.

The point I was trying to make (and yes my apologies, I should have framed this more clearly) is that I’m missing sensible metrics/reasoning on where those funds are being utilized for exactly. I have read your roadmap and proposals closely, unfortunately it’s not yet very metric driven or SMART*.

More control on Timing and Dedicated Marketing are terms with little meaning to me. It is for example quite easy to blow a big piece of your (expected) runway on (paid) marketing efforts.

A lot of the reasoning being used is as follows:

More funding means faster/more growth

Floor price = xxx Amount of mint price (vanity metric imho, especially with no use case right now)

Immediate questions that arise from my (albeit limited) startup investment experiences are: Where are you planning specifically to utilize it for? How does that funding correlate in more growth? Can you express it in metrics? Do you have any actual metrics? DAU, WAU, MRR, Avg. Time on Dapp etc?

I see and have seen quite a lot of funding proposals asking for funding that defy all logic with figures that make those with experience in traditional startups blink, why not bootstrap some more? For example; why not bootstrap your ideas with a bounty system? Or perhaps make those goals more metric-driven to convince nitpickers like me :wink:

The reasoning for funding from the project’s perspective is understandable and the immense interest is something that I fully agree with, am just missing a couple of metrics to remove bias.

In short; I am a big supporter of funding that might launch projects / help scale projects / grow adoption / educate users.
However, prior to asking for such funding, I would love to see a more sustainable business model (including more specific reasoning on funds being strategically utilized) being presented and or worked upon including a more metric-driven approach to reach those goals.

Personal Note: Please take most of this as constructive criticism so that we all can learn and grow from it, I love to be proven wrong and learn from the community but also truly feel that I should weigh in/give my opinion on various funding requests. The community forum from marscolony is great and shows a lot of the potential but also showcases a couple of potential problems (like a lack of focus/clear direction on the product). Seen things go wrong for all sorts of reasons on those dino chains, we should be cautious to not misuse ecosystem funding or become easy cash-cows. Am also a part of the mars ecosystem so please keep building :+1: