A Block of Crypto DAO – Providing Education, Basic Income for Instructors and Marketing for Harmony

the aim of the DAO is to provide a basic income for the instructors and facilitators. So yes most of the funds are going on this.

To clarify, I am not proposing Students are going to bail us out. And for sure not just NFT projects. This particular project is paying 10% for services we are providing and has no reflection on how cheap it is to run on Harmony. These can not pay upfront for our services and so this is the agreement we made with them. We will have different agreements with different projects depending on where they are in their life cycle.

We have a suite of services, both professional and marketing which we will be offering to blockchain-related startups and we will be sourcing them from a wider pool than our students.

I agree these questions should be asked, and as an active member of the community, I know only too well how the community feels about DAOs and the selling pressure they possibly bring, along with the lack of follow-through and other money grab issues.

By any chance did you read our two previous partnership proposals? It might be worth having a look at them and the comments/feedback from harmony to see why we have now applied as a DAO in this format. I did know a DAO application would be met with resistance as I am part of the community. However, I have taken steps based on the advice of Harmony.

Thank you for your feedback, I do think it is valuable. Have a lovely day.

1 Like

Paula,
I have not read your other two proposals as I assumed they were denied for whatever reason thus why you are on your 3rd proposal.

I am sure you can understand as a professional. It is not all about price action. However, when a company is losing money or assets what do they do to combat the losses? They look for ways to reduce inefficient spending.

That is my main and sole purpose of looking into these DAO proposals.

Harmony is bleeding out for a variety of reasons and we are trying our best to help them come up with ways of moving funds around.

Honestly, I wouldn’t have too much of a problem if your proposal was asking for maybe $10K tops.

What bank could you go to with this business model and get backed by SBA loans? WFC, JPM, etc. would never give you loan based on these ‘potential’ revenue streams.

My question is why do you think Harmony should give you this money when no one else would?

4 Likes

“My question is why do you think Harmony should give you this money when no one else would?”

We have applied to Harmony, to help harmony. What would you like us to do, apply to the Eth foundation to educate people about harmony, or as you suggest a bank? As a professional, no that does not make sense.

Now is the best time to be educating people and to be building, now because the price is down, and with this is a reduction in the cash grabbers. and the reduction is cash grabbers will grow more as the price drops more. blockchain and cryptocurrency are a long game. Harmony is not bleeding out and the downturn is because of the market conditions. Blockchain improvements are still being worked on and I have every faith that when the market returns to green ( we have been red since November) harmony will rise to a top 10 blockchain. Patients is key. Bear markets are good for builders and educators. Not so good for money-grabbing speculators that are concerned their investments are taking a hit and want to tell the blockchains how to do business better. Now is the time to be funding projects, be it by DAO or other avenues, now and all the way down to the bottom, which is still a while away.

Maybe you can make a suggestion to me on how to improve this proposal?

2 Likes

We have applied to Harmony, to help harmony.
How so? You have NO IDEA if your students will want to build on Harmony’s network nor can you make them.

I agree that education and building are important. However, those are important regardless of bear market or not.

"Now is the time to be funding projects, be it by DAO or other avenues, now and all the way down to the bottom, which is still a while away."

So you are advising Harmony to put all their resources to ‘speculative’ DAOs that may not even come to fruition?

I notice you didn’t respond to if you and your governors will be taking major pay cuts.

These are all just MY opinions and observations. By no means do I represent the Harmony Core team.

If you want my advice on your proposal. Drop your grant to $10,000.

At this point, I have given my thoughts and advice you requested.

It will be up to the Harmony team if you are approved or not.

Good luck!

3 Likes

" Drop your grant to $10,000." and how would we provide a basic income for the instructor? The purpose of the DAO is to provide an income while promoting and educating about harmony.

I think you might be forgetting a big thing here. We are on the same team.

“I notice you didn’t respond to if you and your governors will be taking major pay cuts.”

We can not take pay cuts, we have been promoting Harmony for free already. there is nothing to cut.

I see,

I think another suggestion would be to consider applying elsewhere for funding? That is if you truly want to see this go through. I could write on and on about how your laid out your finances is self-destructive but it seems you would have trouble understanding.

So none of the governors have full time jobs?
Aren’t you a CPA?

Your proposal basically exposes that none of you have full time jobs otherwise you wouldn’t be asking for this absurd amount of money.

4 employees working 30 hours per week…

The worst part is you claim to be a CPA but called yourself a CPA Accountant

That is the BIGGEST red flag as it shows you don’t have any idea what CPA stands for.

I am moving on from this proposal now.

Take care!

6 Likes

I was going to say this, lost the energy and bottled my frustration. Well said.

1 Like

The proposal is financially inefficient. For 1000 people (200 ONE/20000$) the cost is 150k (major chunk of it is spent on wages and salaries i.e. 110/150k = 73%). 73% of the investment on a project spent on wages and salaries is absurd.

What is the expected ROI ?

1 Like

I don’t think I need to say much but this clearly won’t bring $150k worth of value to Harmony , probably not even $10k worth of value .

It’s a NO for me , goodluck on your next ventures !

Seeing major red flags with this one. I want to see roi and kpi as well and how this benefits harmony. How do I know this isn’t a cash grab rug pull. Harmony needs to sustain itself and increase tvl before funding these suspicious projects. This is a no from me as well. I’m a harmony investor and I want harmony to benefit first before they fund these charity projects.

1 Like

Should have change to

The aim of the DAO is to provide a basic income for us

A DAO on education should not have >70 on wages and salaries for 4 staff. This is not a sustainable way to maintain a platform, especially in educational field.

Please answer my question OP

If you are keen to provide education, why you get more than you give out to the student?

4 Likes

Woof, this was a rough thread to read. I have no association with this project and only learned about it from the harmony newsletter.

It seems like people have raised good questions about sustainability, and Paula has given answers of the form, “here’s an example, and go read the proposal”. Of course that’s not the end of the story, but geez, the energy really ramped here pretty quickly here. I also want to know the answers to this—in a deliberative manner—but why are we jumping right to assuming either negative intent or that it’s a definitely 100% guaranteed terrible, no-good, very-bad, run-away-fast business model?; and 2) assuming there’s still something short of a crystal ball in that proposal, don’t people understand that supporting nascent ideas when they’re nascent inherently means some things are unknown? Of course we need to tune that knob, but the standards can’t be perfection (again, I haven’t read the proposal, so I have no idea if they’re any good—I also know the commenters here haven’t read it either, though, based on Paula’s repeated requests for them to do so in response to many of these otherwise sensible questions when asked with low emotionality).

Another thing is this, “how does it benefit harmony” question. Absolutely the right question to ask, and absolutely not the sloppy cudgel it’s being used as without any thoughtful follow up. The obvious answer is in the mission statement: to educate developers on using harmony—more developers means more experiments with apps means more likely to hit something that moves the needle for the community st large. More details will of course need to be considered, and we can argue about whether the education will be sticky enough to harmony, what the dropout rates will be, how good of a job the instructors can do, sustainable revenue streams, etc, but it seems to me the first round of clarity on that point was made even in the core of the summary.

Let’s have a productive discussion here where we engage each other with both scrutiny but also civility. And let’s also be grateful that we have people like Paula who seem to both be in the community and trying to work in the community’s interest while also not starving (also, thorough background checks and diligence should be done, and if the CPA or other stuff is amiss, then off with their heads obviously).

So when did students become developers ?. The proposal says students and learners. You are saying developers.

/Please, let the proposers deal with it/

1 Like

Thank you for contributing the thread before reading the proposal.

I, personally read everything from the proposal before putting my thought on this thread.

IDEA itself, is good.
Dreaming itself, is good.

When IDEA and DREAMING come to execution, it comes with challenges.

When an IDEA cannot be challenged during this booming stage, how can this idea be executed lately?

Education is good, and education should be free to everyone. And again, why would the wages and salaries would be >70% of the allocation of the funds. IF the IDEA is that great?

An Overview of State Higher Education Funding Approaches would not put more than 20% of its allocation on wages and salaries to teacher on its revenue sources. And how would this proposal give >70% on this?

Again, you are saying we, the idea challengers are being negative to the proposal, and seeking for productive discussion. But for what I am seeing, you are the one who are raging on us and being negative on us that do not provide any productive discussion other than personal bias.

And MUCH APPRECIATED for your first time posted here in the community.

2 Likes

Hey @wubba.one, I can see how you would think I was responding to you, but I wasn’t. Your question was rather well put in my view. I wasn’t trying to drag peoples’ names into it, but I wanted to call out some general themes of what I was seeing in the thread that seem to me to be overly simplistic and overly hostile instead of helpfully challenging.

@mohanarvindk, my assumption was that this is meant to be a kind of developer bootcamp kind of thing so people learn how to develop in our ecosystem. Maybe I’m wrong about that.

As for leaving responses to Paula, it’s clear to me from their writing that they don’t need anyone standing up for them. I’ll let Paula respond to the merits. I only offer my thoughts, because, to me, people were being what seemed unhelpfully aggressive. Let’s argue the merits (including having to make the argument, not just, “you’re a fail, get a job”, etc), but we don’t have to be rude. That’s how conversations become toxic and unproductive.

1 Like

While i like the idea , i really get the feeling that this proposal is straight up a cash grab.You literally ask for 8400$ per month for an Instructor, a wage way more than the highest possible wage for an instructor in the us and eu.All these while the Instructors would get revenue from the NFTs?
Also i think there are plenty of free resources on the web.
I think that this could somehow add more users to the harmony blockchain , but i would like for harmony to pay only for the 200 ONE completion incentives, if this somehow gets approved.If your idea and your course is valuable, i think there will be plenty of income from your NFT sales.

1 Like

This is an open discussion, so there will not have any specific target of respondent.

You are not responding me, but I am responding you.

I don’t follow what you’re saying. In any case, the project sounds promising to me, and yours is among the several good questions in this thread that I hope the team responds to. And other than that, for the people posting lazy or highly aggressive posts, I hope they stop. That’s all.

1 Like

thank you for your objectivity @algorist, I see your comments have been flagged by someone and I do not understand why. I can only think it is because you have been objective. Don’t take it personally. there has been a question over DAOs by the Harmony community for some time, and I obviously got the wrath of the anti-DAO brigade.

Unfortunately, that NFT project will no longer be launching on Harmony. They have been following the thread and feel the community is hostile and aggressive and until the keyboard warriors stop trolling, there is no way I could send people here. Tagging the harmony team as this should not be happening and they need to be aware of the impact of trolling. @Mattyontap @frwrdslosh @Jacksteroo @stse

It is a pity because I was advised by the Harmony core team to submit as a DAO, now I feel like I was sent to the firing line. Harmony Web3 Pros Expert Track - #10 by Mattyontap

By the way, my CPA number is 005516. pity they don’t keep the records on a blockchain, I could point you to it then in no time.

1 Like