Closed: The Community Managers Funding Proposal has been resolved

Hello @Cryptowolf – I just wanted to add for clarity here. You are doing great work on Telegram and Dragon is doing great work over on Discord. We should be clear, however, both Wolf and Dragon are being compensated by Harmony directly.

This proposal was an effort to help fund compensation to Kratos and Mando and hopefully to bring Elbow back.

4 Likes

Thanks Sam! Everyone who is contributing to the success of Harmony and taking lots of their own time to do so should be compensated, especially if that feels like a full time job. Moderating communities is a lot of hard work and that should be rewarded, if the job is being done effectively, for sure.

what?

But Wolf wrote the following: ’ We do all of the above and so much more for the community and we do it WITHOUT FUNDING.’.

Very confusing all this now. Are they or are they not being paid, funded as Wolf himself wrote above?

2 Likes

Yes fund em 50k! More people need to know how sweet this chain is!

Ok, thank you for clearing this up Sam. Much appreciated! Can we get a budget overview to where/what they fund are being spent?

Mando has been a great addition to this team bringing an integral part of growth, outreach. Having involvement in all the major outlets within Harmony is no simple task and Mando networks incredibly well uniting several projects into a solid concerted effort on growing our beloved network. The funding for C-Ops is a no brainer. The amount of work they put into this for little to no pay is unacceptable with a network such as Harmony. Without this team, we are destined to failure. Support the team supporting the network and give them the funding needed to provide sustainable support.

1 Like

I honestly vote yes on the condition these people provide who they are and how the money will be distributed. If it’s truly transparent. 1,000% if they don’t revel themself a hard no on that.

2 Likes

‘provide who they are’…interesting metric. Can you expand on why that is important to you?

Should they be compensated on who they are, or their deliverables?

2 Likes

(offtopic)
This might sound silly to the younger generations, but I wish we could simply have #one platform, #one window where everyone could come for help and information rather then to search it on twitter, discord, telegram, this forum etc.

2 Likes

Of course. Accountability. That’s it. It’s very important. If not again hard no

1 Like

Again, we’d be excluding most people in this discussion. And crypto.

Yes yes yes , community has been great❤

This is the eventuality and our main focus in the coming months :slight_smile:

Not at all most people are not going for the position. I swear it was like wolf and like 3 others. I’m not getting paid are you? So again. I kindly disagree. You are not excluding anyone.
Imagine I ran for president and was like yeah but you guys can’t know who I am…
again not excluding anyone. Certain things cost sacrifices. I’m sure anyone on the harmony teams would agree. :100::100::100::100::100::100::100::100::100::100:
I don’t think you need to revel yourself for your opinions lol but for a paid position. Yeah.

1 Like

sam replied already, but just to confirm:

"We should be clear, however, both Wolf and Dragon are being compensated by Harmony directly.

This proposal was an effort to help fund compensation to Kratos and Mando and hopefully to bring Elbow back."

1 Like

While everyone who is part of this project clearly holds Harmony and benefits from its success, generally speaking, when people feel like they need a pay increase, they should probably get one. What confuses me, is that the people wanting paid already hold large bags of Harmony, are we suggesting paying them this grant in Harmony, or another crypto? Remember, cryptocurrencys are like companies that loose money forever, like Uber. If we pay them in Harmony, selling it, we’d essentially be taking value away from them just as if they sold their own Harmony.

I’ve watched this project grow, I tell everyone about it, it really is amazing.

My vote is, if we’re going to issue the grant in Harmony, it can only be sold using small limit orders with the price increasing, patiently.

Bottom line, someone must not be happy with their compensation per stress level, and I want them to be happy and continue to see this project thrive. Also, be patient, we have an entire generation growing up knowing what crypto is for the first time, we want Harmony to be on everyone’s must have list, and if that means spending some money now to invest in our future than I vote yes. I think it should be divided up into smaller installments to the workers, giving them some stability and something they can look forward to.

1 Like

I really struggle with this proposal as it does not feel like a complete idea and just raises more questions than it answers. I see both Li and Sam clarified that these funds are for Mando, Kratos and Elbow(maybe).

• Does that mean that the funds will be split evenly between the three of them and fully spent in 3 months?
  • What is the responsibility/job description of these C-OP members?
  • What social media platforms do they cover?
  • What is the responsibility per social media platform?
  • Is this fund sustainable as it transitions under the C-DAO?

None of these questions are answered. I am all for paying the community members that give their personal time up to better the community but that does not mean we should be blindly throwing money out here.

My suggestion is that this proposal gets reformed, the C-OPs team should put forward a new proposal that has a value assessment for their services and a clearly defined budget (i.e. how each dollar is intended to be used). In its current state this proposal is incomplete and the C-Ops operations appear to be unsustainable under the C-DAO. I cannot support this proposal and I urge other community members to look at this more critically.

Does that mean that the funds will be split evenly between the three of them and fully spent in 3 months?

I urge other community members to look at this more critically.

I think it’s critical that funding proposals of any type leave little to no room for ambiguity on how those funds will be used. Right now, I feel there’s too little information on where the money will go and how it will be managed. For example, we hope to get Elbow back into Telegram, but the budget doesn’t provide information on how funds are used if that fails to happen.

If Elbow returns, $50K equates to paying each moderator an annual salary of $66,700 for a 3-month period. For comparison, this is above the average salary of a Level-2 Help Desk Technician in the US.

If Elbow doesn’t, $50K equates to paying each moderator an annual salary of $100,000 for a 3-month period. For comparison, this is near the starting salary for a pharmacist with a doctoral degree, or top salary for a Help Desk Manager supporting critical staff at a large organization.

Will any of these funds be used to pay for special projects? If yes, what portion of the budget is allocated to special projects and what are those projects?

Further, we should also determine the fair market pay for moderators.

So, I propose that we use this thread to discuss the framework we would like Community Operations to take. Personally - I like the idea of each social channel (i.e. Twitter, Telegram, Reddit, etc) having a leader that specializes in that forum and who can use their expertise to the greatest effect.

@Sam

If we’re looking to provide a more structured technical support (which I gather from previous posts, itself carrying a number of caveats that must be documented) then I believe it should be separated into its own position outside moderator duties. It should be its own role defined with it’s own salary and responsibilities to provide a clear understanding of expectations and job requirements.

If this is the path we’re looking to take then I feel there should be one proposal to fund the moderating aspect of the Telegram team, and one proposal to begin a technical support program with clearly defined roles, responsibilities, SLAs and scope of support, and estimated overhead for tools and platforms needed. A single person could fill both roles of moderator – and – technical support, increasing their income, but I see them as two separate positions each with their own detailed job descriptions and budgets.

++++++++++++++++++++

However, I think this all depends on whether or not this level of technical support is needed. Are we ready to take on this responsibility and liability? Are the issues and questions from the community so varied and challenging that support tickets and dedicated techs are warranted? Or is this something we can accomplish through a thorough and well written FAQ that’s accompanied by a series of well edited YouTube tutorials and troubleshooting tips?

I think these are important questions to answer before we proceed. We should avoid paralysis by analysis and figure out how to move forward, but some baseline questions (above) will help everyone understand which direction to proceed and not without a clear direction.

++++++++++++++++++++

As for social channel specializations, I agree @Sam, though I also believe that we shouldn’t label one social channel “Community Operations” while excluding the majority of the Harmony community (Facebook, Twitter & Reddit). This will only create a fracture in how the communities are managed. This should be a united effort for maximum effect and team work.

• Moderator can exist in more than one channel and increase their income assuming that person meets the requirements and is familiar with how to manage the channel.

• If time permits, that same moderator can be on one or more DAOs to contribute and earn more for their hard work, run a validator, or even assist in more than one chain to help make a healthy living. Hard work should be rewarded here, but let’s propose funding in a clear and structured manner.

• Branding should be unified, representing the team or Harmony, and all moderators should be under the same parent umbrella from my perspective. One team with different specialties based on familiarity, understanding, and comfort level with a given social channel.

• Each sub-group meeting daily, and all sub-groups meeting together monthly over Zoom.

• Leaders for each channel should meet together weekly to strategize and disseminate information across the channels, while also in a dedicated space for real-time communication.

// Next steps…

As for next steps, I think another proposal is needed, Telegram moderators should be funded ASAP to help keep people from leaving again, and the new proposal should be created with clear detail on how funding will be used, the responsibilities of the role, and why the proposed amount is fair pay for the role. While they’re funded fairly (and with transparency) the 2nd step would be to define whether we’re providing support and what that entails, and how to move moderators into an ambassador role, under one umbrella and representing Harmony with a unified vision.

Apologies for all the edits but I felt it’s important that we iron out these details so we can move in the right direction for the right reasons. Let’s get this funded. Please read above if you skipped to this line.

1 Like

Love the edits Daniel! And also your vision for C-Ops - that it should cover all channels, with mods available to support all channels.

I believe this proposal is now closed.

The C-OPS Team are at this time currently investigating ways to self-fund their operations.

I thank all for their time and input into this proposal.

2 Likes