Name of DAO: People DAO
PeopleDAO was born from a web3 movement to buy a private copy of the US Constitution. Although the project failed, the developers bequeathed the $PEOPLE token to the community. PeopleDAO formed and adopted $PEOPLE as its governance token, impressed by the meme coin’s decentralization, capped supply, and history. Now the Discord contains over 10k members and the Twitter account boasts over 19k followers. The overarching goal of PeopleDAO is to advance web3 and social good leveraging both the $PEOPLE token and an innovative metaDAO model. We are currently in the process of ratifying our DAO Constitution.
Serve – Advance web3 via content creation & housing subDAOs that provide public goods
Incubate – Develop subDAOs through technical assistance & fundraising
Steward – Honour the $PEOPLE token story & write its next chapter via culture-making
PeopleDAO is working on multiple projects but three of the most important ones are: (1) creating a LanguageDAO subDAO, (2) publishing content on Mirror.xyz, and (3) offering an NFT profile picture project.
LanguageDAO – PeopleDAO is a metaDAO currently incubating two subDAOs, one being LanguageDAO. The goal of LanguageDAO is to lower language barriers in web3 through a combination of translation and interpreter services and mission-driven activities. The services include interpreting conference calls like DAO Twitter Spaces and translating crypto white papers, which often feature evolving technical jargon and regional slang that defy automated translation solutions. Revenue generated from these types of services fund mission-driven activities consisting of outreach into marginalized countries, free education, and advocating for web3 organizations to increase language accessibility. Read the white paper.
- 30 web3 document/article translations
- 6 Twitter Spaces, Discord Townhalls, or other conference calls using our interpreter services
- 3 protocols or DAOs that improve language accessibility in response to LanguageDAO advocacy
- 6 free educational articles produced, with mission-driven topics such as explaining financial terms used colloquially in different countries
How we get there – (1) Onboard members from PeopleDAO Translation Team; (2) Begin outreach to potential partners; (3) Provide service to customers; (4) Do a performance review at the end of the three months.
Publishing Content – Mirror is a decentralized platform for article publication, similar to Medium. They gave PeopleDAO its own subdomain. We have been publishing information about DAO tooling and also key updates about PeopleDAO. We plan to use this publishing platform for many different subjects in the future. Our members possess knowledge and expertise of web3 and perspectives from many nations. We will use this funding to pay contributors to write articles about the Harmony ecosystem. The shared values of our DAO indicate direction of our editorial interests: public goods, cultural exchange, liberty, humour, and memes.
- 24 articles about the Harmony ecosystem or relevant topics.
- Fund at least 5 web3 writers
- Coordinate with LanguageDAO to ensure all articles are translated to Chinese characters, with English and Chinese representing the two major languages of PeopleDAO
- Create and facilitate the “book-club” channel in the Discord as a site for conversation about our Mirror.xyz articles. Writing Team moderators will post at least one prompting question or stimulating observation per article into the book-club channel to stimulate conversation…
- Spread awareness about each article published by posting on PeopleDAO communication channels, including Discord and Twitter
How we get there – (1) During a weekly meeting the DAO will identify content categories (ie. tech); (2) Release bounties to attract writers familiar with the content topics; (3) Editors will quality check written pieces pre-publishing; (4) The editorial team will monitor responses and sentiment within Discord and Twitter, and adjust bounties in accordance with audience interest.
PeopleDAO NFT Art Project – We are working on NFT projects that will serve as a source of fundraising for the DAO, and add to our DAO culture. We have two projects already in progress on the Ethereum chain. We will use grant funding to launch a new project on the Harmony blockchain. We plan to mint and sell these projects on Harmony’s NFT marketplace, davinci.gallery. Our shared community values also provide direction to our NFT projects.
- Design one NFT project through brainstorming and community input at weekly meetings
- Promote the NFT project in our Discord and Twitter with no less than 5 posts/tweets
- Conduct sale of NFT
- Design and issue one POAP for all DAO members involved in the project
How we get there – (1) The weekly Design Team sync will brainstorm direction for the NFT project; (2) A bounty will be issue and an artist identified; (3) Artist will work with Design Team to bring project vision to life; (4) Developer Team will assist with designing a website, using frameworks from previous projects; (6) Marketing will develop a white list to gauge demand; (5) The NFT will become available for minting, accompanied by additional marketing. (6) Design Team and artist will discuss ways of adding additional value to the NFT project community.
PeopleDAO commits to achieving the following objectives within three months after obtaining funding from Harmony:
- STRETCH GOAL – Recognition from the Harmony community that LanguageDAO is tangibly reducing language barriers, as measured by testimonials from high profile community stakeholders, as well as general sentiment captured Twitter by likes and retweets.
- Maintain over an average 4 star satisfaction rating on our customer survey
- Proceeds exceed at least 15% of the amount allocated from the Harmony grant
- STRETCH GOAL – Recognition from the Harmony community that PeopleDAO articles are providing exceptional value to the ecosystem, as measured by testimonials from high profile community stakeholders, as well as general sentiment captured Twitter by likes and retweets.
- On a week-to-week basis, all articles are high quality in terms of meeting at least one of the following criteria: positive audience response, depth of research, and originality.
- Twitter engagement of articles increases 25% month-over-month
- Proceeds exceed at least 50% of the amount allocated from the Harmony grant
- STRETCH GOAL – Rank within both the top 5 most sold and most viewed projects on davinci.gallery
- Proceeds exceed the amount of the Harmony grant allocated for the project
- Accrue a Verified Badge from the davinci.gallery, evidence of the value PeopleDAO provides to the NFT marketplace
Our governors, who are multisig signers to the Treasury, are elected by the members of our community with the $PEOPLE token as governance. Our multi-stage election ended late-January 2022, passing a quorum of 250 million $PEOPLE, and we elected 9 international individuals from all walks of life. Our governors specialize across a myriad of fields to support the growth of the DAO: public policy, marketing, research, computer science development, network security, and more.
Our governors will ensure the integrity and uphold the vision of the DAO throughout its operation. The following are keyholders for our DAO treasury, a multisignature Gnosis Safe wallet.
0xAA - PhD in Neuroscience candidate and web3 developer.
Arthur from PandaDAO - Previously worked for cyber intelligence agencies and now works full-time for DAOs and as a blockchain analyst and media practitioner.
MatterTurbulent - Works in a policy office for a major municipality in the United States. Holds a Masters Degree in Community Organizing and is finishing up another in Health Policy.
August from OKX - A representative of the crypto exchange OKX.
Greenside - Works in the creative and marketing field in New Mexico, United States.
Showman - An attorney licensed in Illinois, United States, who used to work for a major municipality as a prosecutor. Currently runs a small business in Tokyo and freelances policy research.
Ran - Backend technology lead working in a Top 5 internet company in China.
Zerohash - An econometrician researching the blockchain-growth nexus. Has a background in programming, economics and statistics.
Bruce - Lawyer qualified and practicing law in two jurisdictions: Australia and China.
The governance model employed by PeopleDAO takes on a triadic approach: participation maximization, centralisation contraction, and absolute transparency.
Firstly, with participation maximization in mind, PeopleDAO aims to be as inclusive and encouraging as possible for global members to partake in our mission and engage in high-level discussion that aid in the development of the DAO. Secondly, with centralisation contraction in mind, we ensure the DAO stays true to the web3 decentralization spirit and avoid power aggregation of any individuals within the DAO. Lastly, transparency allows the operation and accounting to be clearly recorded and conveyed to community members.
We run yearly elections and our Constitution contains more details about our governance model.
The DAO Treasury employs a Gnosis Safe Multisig Wallet. Currently, the DAO Treasury uses the 0xDd386096048683378E87FA626C75C2b548fd5e7e address on the Binance Smart Chain, Ethereum Blockchain, and Polygon Blockchain.
PeopleDAO governors are currently working on establishing treasury addresses on other chains, such as Harmony. All treasury executions require approval from 6 of 9 multisig holders.
PeopleDAO governors rotate on a yearly basis. Each year the election process should follow a similar schedule.
Jan 1 to Jan 8: Self Nomination period. (deadline UTC 23:59, Jan 8)
Jan 9 to Jan 15: Discord voting period. (deadline UTC 23:59, Jan 15)
Jan 16: Statistics on shortlisted candidates compiled and BOT eradication
Jan 17 to Jan 22: Snapshot voting period (deadline UTC 23:59, Jan 22)
Jan 22: 9 Multisig signers elected
Jan 22 to Jan 31: Multisig transition period
Feb 1: New multisig signers conducts the first roundtable meeting
The first Multisig election was successfully concluded on Jan 22, 2022.
PeopleDAO is seeking $75,000. The funding will support the three ongoing projects outlined in this application.
LanguageDAO – The funds funneled to LanguageDAO will be used for onboarding freelance translators and interpreters, compensating moderators and project managers, and developing and disseminating marketing materials.
Content publication – To incentivize contributions, PeopleDAO will allocate funds to reward writers for quality content creation, published on the Mirror platform. The DAO will also fund two editors and one project manager.
NFT Project – As part of our fundraising initiative, PeopleDAO has a team devoted to the development of an NFT project. Grant funds will go towards paying the artist, the project manager, and any associated marketing costs.
Self sufficiency is the key to growth and development for any organization, be it centralized or decentralized. People DAO currently has a treasury of about $120,000, accrued through donations. Each of the three projects we are working on in association with the Harmony grant will bring in revenue for the DAO and contribute to PeopleDAO sustaining activity in the Harmony ecosystem.
LanguageDAO – We are still developing our pricing structure but will make decisions based on market norms, and so will charge $0.1 cents per word, for example. Similarly, we will follow industry norms for interpreter services and charge $3 per minute. We will continually assess the market and our operating costs and adjust prices.
Mirror.xyz –. Each article can be purchased as an NFT, which contributes to the DAO Treasury and rewards authors. The legendary rarity costs 1 Ether, rare costs .01, and common coasts .001. Using the Mirror.xyz Split feature, 70% of proceeds go to the writer and 30% to the DAO treasury. On a bi-weekly basis the editorial team will analyze which articles are selling the most and then work with writers to pitch ideas that appeal to our audiences.
NFT Project – Selling the NFTs generates revenue. The project adopts a tiered system, with less scarce varieties selling in the low-hundreds range, a mid-tier rarity selling in the low thousands, and then a single most-rare variety selling somewhere in the ten-thousands. The project is aiming to take in substantially more revenue than the overhead costs covered by the Harmony grant.
Linktree: People DAO | Linktree