People DAO

Thank you for submitting a proposal to $300M Ecosystem Fund :blue_heart:

:hourglass_flowing_sand: Your proposal is under review :slight_smile: Meanwhile, head over to our DAO Funding Guidelines

:heavy_check_mark: Please ensure that your proposal meets the criteria necessary to be considered for a Harmony DAO bootstrap grant.

Note, that even if your proposal meets certain criteria, it does not necessarily guarantee approval or funding :see_no_evil:

Thank you for your time and interest! :rocket:

1 Like

Thank you, Mikey. Our team is looking forward to the evaluation of Harmony.

Darn i have to retract my statement this is awkward,

I was under the impression it was an open call for anyone to be put in place, then i realized all governors put in place for a year, best of luck :blue_heart:

Thanks for voicing out. In your opinion, full democratic governance would be swapping Governors every quart (3 months)? I will bring this up to the current Governor line up and see if we will implement a change after our first operations cycle, ending June '22.

Nothing awkward about it, I understand that all DAOs try to be as decentralized as possible and a key threshold is the power of Governors. At PeopleDAO, the Governors’ only job is to approve funding as our community-based team submit their budget application for the community to see. Apart from that, our Governors facilitate public forum and weekly discussion with the community and are paid the minimum for being a Governor (approx. ~$60 per month depending on the price fluctuation of our governance token).

Do let us know how you think we can improve the governance model.

2 Likes

Totally understand, well welcome to the community, its my job here to question everything hope you do not take it personal, would love to see your 10k plus audience migrate to Harmony Protocol, lets scale fam

Hi–Matter here. I co-wrote the LanguageDAO whitepaper and Harmony grant application with Zerohash. Wanted to share an article I recently wrote, “10 Chinese Crypto Twitter Terms.” It’s an example of the type of content we’d like to write with the Harmony grant funding, fostering intercultural exchange and having some fun along the way. I hope you check it out!

2 Likes

Hey Mikey,

Will there be an update on our grant application anytime soon? Our team have went over the Funding Guidelines as well and looking forward to what the Harmony review team seek from us to amend in our grant application. Hoping to hear from the Harmony team soon.

Cheers.

1 Like

Yes! Apologies for the delay as we are improving our DAO grants structure.

Expect a reply from us :soon:

We are excited to work with the People DAO :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you greatly for your patience, @zerohash. We have been restructuring our DAO Bootstrap guidelines.

I would love to hear from a couple of the People DAO Govs about why People DAO chose Harmony for this specific proposal :blue_heart:

1 Like

Thank you @frwrdslosh, I will relay this to the Govs and arrange a meeting. Where would you like this meeting to be held and which time range will be convenient for you?

1 Like

Oh, I’m not that important, haha!

Feel free to include your responses here on the talk forum for the community to see!

2 Likes

Hi my Harmony friends, i am Ran, I am here to introduce myself and my thought of PeopleDAO.
I am now working as a lead member of the dev-team, responsible for the use of the dev-team budget and the the incentive work for the dev-team.
I am grateful to PeopleDAO, peopleDAO is a real DAO, the organization does not have ownership of the PEOPLE token that we love, we all gather together simply because we love the story (ConstitutionDAO) and the spirit behind PEOPLE, and we are not willing to let PEOPLE die out with the demise of ConstitutionDAO. and we are going to do empowerment and building around.
And now, we continue to expand our mission, not just for PEOPLE token, but for crypto world.

1. we provide a friendly opportunity for more web2 engineers to step into the web3 space. All engineers, as long as they are interested and passionate about web3, can commit to our construction, and we provide incentives and rewards.
  2. we will continue to build tools for the whole crypto to help everyone better roam in crypto. For example, AC’s departure has stopped many of his wonderful products , and chainlist is a friendly and powerful tool, we have deployed a chainlist and will continue to operate forever. https://chainlist.people-dao.com/
  3. we also have languageDAO, in order to work on the language barrier that naturally exists in crypto, we have organized a large group of passionate and capable contributors to translate many crypto quality articles and consulting.
  4. We also have a team of writers who will continue to write significant, quality content to contribute to crypto’s educational efforts. CFRAC NFT — The Mint, The Art, and The Contract
  5. We also have PandaDAO, as the first sub-DAO we incubated, pandaDAO’s goals are
    Project aggregator: project market information + tweet contextual information + media articles + exchange information + trade order portal (plug-in support for external integration)
    Hotspot tracking: hot project information aggregation + reviewer manual collection information aggregation. PandaDAO’s beta product have been deployed and open for public test now.
    https://beta.pandadao.info/

We sincerely hope that our application can be reviewed, and we are continuously making our efforts and contributions.

2 Likes

Hey @frwrdslosh, I’m the co-author of the PeopleDAO grant application and co-coordinator of LanguageDAO. Here is my response to your questionL

Funding

To get this obvious reason out of the way…incentives were a factor. Harmony intends to rev up its ecosystem of web3 projects and organizations, using the $300M funding program. I’m grateful for the opportunity. The funding from Harmony would enable LanguageDAO to attract more contributors, build out our operational and rewards systems, and establish us on the path of lowering language barriers across web3.

Harmony Culture of Plurality

I recently watched a talk Glen Weyl gave at EthDenver 2022 on the subject of plurality. Weyl defines plularilistic technology as, “Empowering the development of differences, but also the cooperation across groups.” Harmony bears hallmarks of pluralism, especially in terms of recognizing differences across geography, nationality, and language. The chain is supporting “Regional DAOs” as a funding category, onboarding communities from all over the world, and mandating the translation of core Harmony documents. I read through the forum and counted eight regional DAOs which have been approved for funding, and four more which have applied but are pending determination.

Harmony as LanguageDAO Homebase

Because of the aforementioned efforts, Harmony looks more like a leader in language accessibility, rather than a straggler. I think we should develop LanguageDAO core processes, activities, and products in an environment so conducive to our vision, rather than try to define ourselves and take on the harder challenges simultaneously. We should make Harmony the LanguageDAO homebase before we branch out to other chains. We can start with solidifying Harmony as the benchmark in language accessibility among chains.

Market Gaps/Opportunities

There is a proven pool of translators here, spread throughout the Regional DAOs. Right now translation/interpretation customers likely have to track down the intended Regional DAO via the Harmony forum, find their Discord, ask around to find the translator. All inconvenience and friction, when instead a dedicated entity that could maintain contact information and relationships with the translators. The parent Regional DAO could even get a cut of the service fee.

Additionally, although we know Regional DAOs have capacity to translate between English and their respective language, there may be a need in terms of translating between non-English pairs. We could fill such as gap.

In reading through the forum I see a lot of interaction WITHIN Regional DAOs, but less so communication BETWEEN them. But the “ingredients” for intercultural exchange are strong. I think folks would have a lot of fun contributing to and engaging with content like the 10 Chinese Crypto Twitter Terms. Providing public education is another LanguageDAO mandate.

Overall, these are my thoughts. Happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you for considering us.

4 Likes

Thank you so much, @matter and @Ran for your time and responses! Really loved reading through it. So inspired.

I am so honored and proud to conditionally approve funding for Language DAO, a subDAO of the People DAO built on Harmony.

It is “conditional” because there are a few things I want to make sure is understood and agreed upon :blue_heart:

Harmony does not want, nor expect, the People DAO to change their governance structure. Harmony encourages rotating signatories via elections every 3 months to show shared responsibility amongst the DAO. I hope this is something that the People DAO’s sub DAO, the Language DAO, could participate in.

The only other thing I’d like to touch on is Harmony’s updated DAO Funding Guidelines that you can find, here.

Specifically, how we’ve adjusted how Harmony pays out the DAO grant:

The Minimally Viable DAO - Milestone Payments:

As we have learned in the Launch Grant program, it is best to create milestone payments. In that spirit, we have studied the DAOs that have been successful both in Harmony and on other chains and have determined three vital components for success. We refer to this as a “ Minimally Viable DAO ” and will pay out the bootstrap grant according to the following:

1. Create a Multisig Contract ($15K) : This milestone is covered in step 5 of the “Mighty Six” above. This is required as all assets of a DAO are shared amongst the community. Without a multisig, this would be impossible. All withdrawals from the DAO multisig should have a matching community vote to approve that withdrawal. This is how a DAO Shares Assets .
  2. Hold a Community Vote for Multisig Signatories ($20K): 9 signatories will be selected out of a field of 12 candidates. Over 100 community members vote. The role of the signatory is to approve transactions out of the DAO multisig wallet in accordance with the community vote. These signatories rotate every 3 months based on a community vote. The responsibility for the success and failure of the DAO is a shared responsibility for all of the members and this is the milestone we look for as proof.
  3. Social Token ($15K): All DAOs need to share a common interest, something that binds them together. By issuing a social token, you can identify your community, your tribe, your teammates and co-conspirators. A social token and an NFT are not the same thing. Social tokens are similar to membership cards, but they operate on-chain. They are fungible so that one is the same as another and - if the DAO wishes to sell them, rather than issue them - they all are at the same price. By deploying a social token, the DAO has shown it has a Shared Interest .

The total bootstrap grant is $50,000 and a DAO that qualifies for this grant will have the minimal attributes. The grant will be paid out as the DAO satisfies each of the MVD milestones.

Let me know the thoughts from the People DAO! Harmony is very eager and excited to work with y’all :blue_heart:

@zerohash

3 Likes

Hi @frwrdslosh, the folks at LanguageDAO and PeopleDAO are excited about the conditional grant Harmony has approved for LanguageDAO! We are committing to working towards implementing the three components of the Minimally Viable DAO outlined in the guidelines. We will follow up soon regarding step 1, setting up the multisig! Thank you!

1 Like

Awesome. So, so happy to hear this! Harmony is incredibly excited about this opportunity as well. Let’s get to work, friends!

:blue_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for the conditional grant offering, @frwrdslosh. For now we have set up a multisig treasury on the Harmony chain, with the PeopleDAO Governors as provisional stand-ins while we sort out the election procedures for Language DAO. This treasury employs the 6-of-9 confirmation for funds disbursement for added security. Will this fulfil the first condition for the bootstrap grant?

During our meeting to discuss the election arrangement, we realized we do not have many members to allow for all quarterly DAO Governors to be unique every quarter. There may be some repeated members being elected due to the small size of the DAO in its early stages, will this be a problem in fulfilling the second condition?

In regards to the social token, is there a specific requirement on the type of token standard we should employ? As Harmony indicated its a social token, we considered the ERC-1155 (HRC-1155) token standards, as well as the ERC-20 (HRC-20) token standard. Is there a hard rule on which one we should use?

Looking forward building with Harmony, cheers!

2 Likes

repeat signatories is not an issue. it’s the election that is important. showing shared responsibility and driving participation.

No hard rule on which standard to use. HRC-20, HRC-721, HRC-1155.

:blue_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for the speedy respond. We will further plan out the contract deployment and election. Will keep things updated via this post.

1 Like

Have fun! Looking forward to the updates. Let me know if you have any questions or need anything :slight_smile:

@zerohash

1 Like