Term 4 Charter Updates/Voting Updates May 31, 2022

It’s good to see some discussion on here.

My impression is that you are framing these proposals as a type of hostile takeover and suggesting that the status quo is/was working properly. Simply put, the obvious issue with voting is that it’s broken; it doesn’t work! And everybody knows it’s broken. It’s been broken since February when Binance increased their overall stake by an additional 750 million ONE(?), causing HIP-25 to fail despite overwhelming support from voting validators:

On HIP-25, 2.59 billion ONE voted YES, 3.86 million voted ABSTAIN, 0 ONE voted NO. And yet, HIP-25 failed:

If 99.85% of all votes were YES (with 0% NO votes), and the HIP still fails to pass, something is undeniably broken. Surely you’d agreed?

The logarithmic voting method is intended to address this issue. It is explained in detail in the OP and several other posts above.

To compound the already broken voting system, governance was later migrated from gov.harmony.one to snapshot org. Unfortunately, snapshot org doesn’t allow for the same voting options as gov.harmony.one. You can see multiple VDAO governors discussing the issues with snapshot org here:

“Right now it will be nearly impossible to pass any HIPs.”

Please, @BrotherOne, @ben2k_Stakeridoo, and @PiStake, correct me if I’m wrong or add further clarification to the issues you all have observed.

Another issue with snapshot org is that it doesn’t integrate Harmony’s CLI, so validators have to import their keys to metamask. And after the security issues with browser extension wallets and Chrome’s zero day vulnerabilities, there is understandable hesitancy within the Harmony validator community.

How do you vote on fixing/implementing new voting, fixing snapshot, etc., when the voting method you would have to use to do so is broken and doesn’t work in the first place? Do you have an alternative? Do you have a solution?

“Money is the motive.” This is a non sequitur.

“Harmoforce”? Another non sequitur.

Harmoforce has helped 10 new validators become elected. And it’s been a good resource for current and aspiring validators. But I understand that not everyone will agree with its efforts to support small validators and further Harmony’s decentralization. Some people prefer to support large validators and actively oppose decentralization. That’s fine; that’s life.

I’ve seen a few people over the last few months try and attack the Harmoforce group. It always strikes me as bizarre. It ends up sounding like the ramblings of a belligerent conspiracy theorist. I’m sure that isn’t what you were attempting to do though.

6 Likes