Taking a comprehensive approach to women-led initiatives: inspiring women to enter the world of Web3 - and making space for what they bring! A public good.
Meta Gamma Delta DAO was summoned at ETHDenver in 2019. From the outset it was envisioned as a DAO with low barriers to entry, supporting those who new to onboarding. We are now 80 members strong: web3 entrepreneurs, developers, experts, and educators, women and men. In 2020 and 2021 the DAO raised money and gave grants to women-led initiatives. We also conduct regular public meetings with speakers.
MGD is well-regarded in the DAO space. We are not only an early adopter but the longest running DAO focusing on supporting women. MGD is a Moloch DAO.
Now we see that it is time to grow the scope of our initiatives. In short: if we want to fund more women-led initiatives, we’re going to need to actively invite more women in.
We are uniquely qualified to create this program, because of our reputation and the early formation of our DAO, our existing grants program, and our extensive relationships in the ecosytem.
We propose to create an end-to-end solution that attracts more women into the space, creates opportunities for them to succeed and opens the way for the blossoming of the ecosystem. We see this as an essential public good. After all, the best solutions to the widest problem set will come from diverse people and perspectives. It’s not only how you coordinate, but who’s in the room when you do.
It’s an ambitious vision, but we see the need to recruit women from adjacent industries (finance, web2, etc), offer educational opportunity for different tracks of web3 and DAO work, pay them for 3-6 months so they can take time to participate in the program. At the conclusion of each cohort, we link them with jobs and/or startup development. In this way we build the pipeline to the benefit of the entire ecosystem, and create opportunity for women - our passion.
- Find potential new talent, and knock down their barriers to entry
- Provide robust educational opportunities through scholarships with major educational partners. (In 2021, Consensys provided scholarships for 10 Meta Gamma Delta members to Consensys Developer Bootcamp, an inspiring model.)
- Create or partner on a basic income program that supports women while they are gaining skills and onboarding (3-6 months for women who are accepted into the program).
- Provide mentorship and other resources from Meta Gamma Delta and partners.
- Through these partnerships and our network, help with job placement upon completion of the program.
- Continue to support women-led initiatives and startups, creating a wider footprint by actively sourcing more projects through hackathons and by other means.
To create a program of this magnitude, MGD has instantiated a core team of active Meta Gamma members. We will make a formal announcement of this team soon, but it includes women with extensive web3 experience as entrepreneurs, developers, researchers, business developers, marketing and project management. The core team of 6-12 women will create the program and direct the activities and workstreams. These will be paid positions at $75/hour to start with.
In Q1 of 2022, this team will create a detailed plan for the program :
- program development document - the whole picture
- phases & milestones within each phase
- budget for funds estimated for each phase, up to $1M
- methods for tracking progress and use of funds
- success metrics and questionnaires for an ongoing assessment of the program.
In addition, we will design a pilot program with 3-5 women, and publish the findings of the pilot.
Other key activities in Q1 2022 will include:
- Development of key partnerships to support the women in the program in education, recruitment, job placement, startup support, UBI, etc.
- Start a recruiting program, with methods for identifying good candidates from traditional companies, educational institutions, or related fields, and attracting them to apply.
We are in a very early stage and welcome grants that will help us build out this vision and its programming.
Development - Q1 2022
Pilot Program (Cohort 1) - Q2-Q3 2022
Evaluation & Building Next Phase - Q4 2022
Cohort 2 - Q1 & Q2 2023
Cohort 3 - Q3 & Q4 2024
Documentation: Reporting on Project Results, Plan for 2023, Sustainability Plans - Q4 2022
As these plans become more detailed, we will share them with funders and the public. We will make all of our work products public and accessible so others may track our progress and copy our models as desired.
Because this initiative is hot off the presses, the MGD Fund core team needs a chance to flesh out the plan, the primary activity of Q1 2022. We do know that this significant donation will allow us to build out the infrastructure needed, hire leads and workers for our workstreams, conduct recruiting (an element that is unique and will have a huge impact for the ecosystem), and run the pilot program and 1-2 cohorts.
We would be honored to have this support from Harmony One, and to provide information about our program, as well as exposure to the Harmony protocol to our participants. We also envision creating a pipeline of qualified workers, startups, and DAO contributors to all of our partners.
This is a unique program so we will need to develop relevant metrics, and look at costs to understand how much it will cost to onboard one person, as well as efficiencies that can be obtained through optimal-size cohorts. Our intent is to provide this program at no cost to the participants, and to provide benefit to all grantors and partners.
First deliverable: Detailed plan document by March 30, 2022
After this we are happy to provide ongoing reporting based on phases & milestones fleshed out in that phase. We look forward to an ongoing relationship with Harmony One, to our mutual benefit.
Thank you for your consideration!